Technical Help - My 12v Socket is DEAD

Currently reading:
Technical Help - My 12v Socket is DEAD

spoolio

Went on a longish trip in our MJ Dynamic (aircon) yesterday. Good news, we got 68mpg. Bad news, we got lost as our satnav died bang on the 2 hours the manufacturer said it would if it wasn't charged from a 12v supply.

We had plugged it in but hadn't realised that the 12v socket is not outputting any power at all. We don't have the smoking pack but I thought all that involved was a fag lighter and an ashtray thingy in one of the cupholders ie, we'd still have a functional accessory socket.

I checked the fuses and they are all OK.

Any ideas, no satnav is a bind but now I can't even use my itrip and that IS bad news.

Yeah you should have a "12V socket" as standard so won't matter that you don't have the smoking pack. If the fuses check out fine (and presumably you've put a meter on the socket itself) and it's never worked, it sounds like it may not be wired up (for whatever reason).

I'd either reach for the screwdriver or book it in to the dealer under warranty :D

Chris

Mine has died three times now. Just replace the 20 amp fuse under the bonnet. I think it happens when you move the plug that's in the cigarette lighter. As the internal surface of the socket isn't smooth the plug may spark or short a bit and pop goes the fuse!

It seems to be happening more often that I'd like though so maybe it is a take-it-back-to-the-dealer issue.

Mine doesn't seem to like the sat nav plug and you have to keep on pressing it into the socket.

It's easy to blow the fuse (20 amp under bonnet as stated) Did mine this week, but Stafford Fiat gave me the replacement fuse for nowt. My tomtom charger pops out of the socket too.

JON

I don't think the socket is very well made (or its not quite the standard size). Neither my Talex or my TomTom plugs fit properly in it, and I also had the fuse blow.

or its the plugs that are naff

what happens usually is the Bimetal release mechanism is mounted on the + pin at the bottom of the holder and comes up the side slightly the plugs -ative contacts are too long and make contact with the BiMetal and pop the fuse

I had this problem on my Old KA so i removed the Bi metal (small torx screw in that case) and never had a problem again (although the fag lighter wouldnt hold in to heat up but i dont smoke so didnt care)

Replaced the fuse again today. This time I had a closer look a the socket and it looks like the +ive and -ive contacts are quite close together at the bottom of the socket, so if your plug pivots around a bit the +ive contact on the plug could touch the -ive contact on the socket.

I've cut a circular piece of thick paper, about the size of a 1p piece, and cut a hole in the middle large enough for the plugs pin to fit though. Seems to help a bit. You may want to hold it in place with some double sided tape. Just remember not to use the cigarette lighter!!

I've also bough about 5 20A fuses just in case!!

Back