Technical Help - is my clutch gone?

Currently reading:
Technical Help - is my clutch gone?

rodanmk2

I have a 1999 Seicento Sporting. Problem:

When the car is warm, it becomes difficult to change gear - tricky to get from 4th to 3rd, and 2nd to 1st especially. It has become quite crunchy recently doing this and seems to be getting worse.

Another thing: when you put the clutch in, half way down you get a noise like a fan belt slipping - this gets worse the warmer the car is.

Also, selecting reverse is a BIG cruncher.

Any ideas? is this a case of adjusting the clutch cable under the front passenger side?

HELP HELP HELP!

The crunching noise is, I think, due to the clutch cable. If the clutch itself was gone, crunching when changing gears would not be a symptom. Don't know about the other noises though. I'm sure Pete will help.

Thats what I thought - after reding other similar messages on here that is!

I guess this will just mean adjusting the clutch cable a bit - the widget bit that is in the passenger footwell broke a few months back and I had a new one fitted (after the clutch pedal dropped to the floor whilst driving!). I am guessing that maybe since this was fitted, the cable has stretched a bit, or the locking nut wasn't fixed back on properly.

Can I ask a stupid question? who is Pete?!!!! and where can I get hold of him!

Cheers

G

thanks Nicholas, thanks too Babysei - i think i'll gte myself under the car when I get home from work and get things moving again.

One more thing - do any of you lot ever get together - meetings, track days etc? could be a good chance to meet everyone and get to see the cars. Either that or maybe regular regional meetings - a pub or something?

Ta!

Graham

what was it mate, coz mine is sufferin from the same...

Whitterz.jpg

Mine does it to but i was told my gearbox probably needs refurbishment and they thort the clutch was fine so ill drive it till the gearbox crumbles as they want £500 2 refurb it. As for meets im going 2 santa pod on the 2nd of march 2 meet clubcento up there hopefully so if u fancy tagging along ur more than welcome :D

its easy - under the passenger side near the bumper you will see the end of your clutch cable fixed by a locking nut - simply screw this tighter - like tightening the brakes on a bike using the lever adjustment, keep looking (or get someone to look for you) at your clutch pedal in the car until is is a fraction above the hight of your accelerator, then it should be all done!

Easy peasy! and it took me literally five mintutes!

Your biting point will change though, but you get used to that!

Anyone wants pictures then let me know and will provide!

Graham

[email protected]

Back