Technical Help!!! exhaust issues with my multi!!

Currently reading:
Technical Help!!! exhaust issues with my multi!!

Lukey84

Hi everyone,

Newbie here!! I have got a 1.6 ELX 2000 W plate multi. The exhaust has been causing me a number of issues since buying it in August!!
Firstly the back box fell off, caught a dip in the road and jumped the back of the car up whilst it was full of my family!! I have sorted this and fitted a new back box.

Since fitting the new back box I could tell it was blowing somewhere but couldnt figure out where. On a recent trip down to London it has gradually got louder and louder and now sounds like a tank!!

I had the bonnet open whilst it was running and noticed a bit of smoke coming from the back of the engine when looking at it from the front.

Had a bit of a look around and have noticed what I thought was the exhaust down pipe had come away from the engine.

After looking on ebay i now dont think it is the down pipe as they dont look the same.

I have attached a picture which I hope will explain better than I can!!

If anyone can tell me if I am right in thinking it is the downpipe or not, if not what is it, how muchwill it cost to fix, will it be fixable by me (A novice) or will it need to go into the garage!!

thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0323.jpg
    IMAG0323.jpg
    981.3 KB · Views: 41
Hello,
Its a little hard to tell from the picture, but that looks like the heat shield covering both the cat and the manifold beneath it.
If that is all of your issues then you-re fine, but more likely its a cracked manifold beneath it or the joint on the cat connecting the cat to the manifold that is cracked.
Both are very common issues on multiplas (well at least on the two i've owned).
The heat shield is quite easy to remove, 3 screws on the top and one underneath. Its a bugger to completely remove though, so just for checking, it can be bent back over the lamda sensor in the middle of the heat shield. Once done, you can check the manifold and cat for cracks with a mirror. NOTE, dissconnect the battery, as the heat shield will very likely short on the alternator otherwise.
Both parts are expensive to replace and a major hassle too.
Once you've located the crack, use some 'Themosteel' to patch up the hole, this stuff is the ONLY substance that can handle to high temps and while by no means perfect it is vastly cheaper than the alternative.

Thanks Multiodd, I shall have a look when I get chance.

Back