HELP!! big scratch

Currently reading:
HELP!! big scratch

Pebs

Hi

I have just bought my first car, I got it knowing about the scratch on the front and the garage had started correcting the problem but i bought it without the work being done because they were going to charge me nearly double the asking price of the car if i had the work done, and then bought it!

the mark is deep in places and scretches the full length of the bonnet and is in a figure of eight pattern. it is deepest in the middle and i have taken some pics of it.

I can't really afford to go to a garage so was wondering if they was any way i could do this myself with a litle help from you guys and girls! :confused:

Attachments

• P3010014.JPG
    P3010014.JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P3010015.JPG
    P3010015.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 10
  • P3010016.JPG
    P3010016.JPG
    657.6 KB · Views: 22
  • P3010017.JPG
    P3010017.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 15
Pebs said:
Hi

I have just bought my first car, I got it knowing about the scratch on the front and the garage had started correcting the problem but i bought it without the work being done because they were going to charge me nearly double the asking price of the car if i had the work done, and then bought it!

the mark is deep in places and scretches the full length of the bonnet and is in a figure of eight pattern. it is deepest in the middle and i have taken some pics of it.

I can't really afford to go to a garage so was wondering if they was any way i could do this myself with a litle help from you guys and girls! :confused:

Go to a scrappy, buy one for £20 =0) (get same colour :D, might take some searching.)

yer if its deep you would be best off getting a new bonnet, same colour would be good but u would be lucky to find one, when i damaged my tailgate i went to a scrap dealer to get a new boot and then some guy by dad knows sprayed it for me, good colour match as well
good luck (y)

from the looks of it the worst bit has gone thru to the undercoat/white primer.

And no amount of rubbing compound will take it out:eek: , would just make the surrounding area 'blend in' which given the size and obviousness of the area, not a good idea.

You could kind of repair it, with a 2pack or three stage type touch up kit from halfrauds (~£25) and rub it down a bit (concentrated on the scratch no other area) then prime, base colour, top colour/lacquer (yours won't have lacquer by the look of it) THEN take some uber fine(barely grittier than polish) rubbing compound to get the surfaces matched, you WILL have a colour difference between your bonnet and the scratch (even if it wasn't faded) but it won't be white and possibly rusty at least :eek: then t cut and polish the whole thing to get it brought up to a nice red(y)

But if it was me, I would just wait till a good bonnet turns up in the scrappy, I think you have about a 70% chance of finding a red one that is faded to within a tolerable amount of the rest of your bodywork (they all fade at different rates depending on how its used/abused in some cases (n)

Scrappy bonnet with no rust spots or dings would be between £20-£35 any more and they are having a laugh (unless they remove it for you and don't damage it in the process)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This kit will do nothing for you if the scratch is deep and through the clearcoat into the base colour or primer. Effectively you need to either touch new paint into the scratch or respray/replace the whole panel. If the car has single stage paint and you haven't gone through to the primer it should be ok to use this kit.

Back