General HELP ! abarth 2.4 clutch HELP!

Currently reading:
General HELP ! abarth 2.4 clutch HELP!

pete2711

PLEASE HELP

i broke down today my clutch has stuck to the floor i can lift it manual then it falls flat to the floor i have taken it to the garage not a fiat garage but one
i normally use and thay do hav good rep but the price to fix was £768.52 for a new clutch to be fitted is this correct i have been looking through the forum
at links to sites were a clutch kit is £224,the garage allso said it would be around 11 hrs to fit (fiat recomended time )thay said i can nt really take it anywere else as i can not move it direct line recovery took it there ,it just seems alot of money, labour charge is £38 plus vat phr i think is good any one had this issue:confused:

model is 2004 man 2.4 stilo aberth out of warrenty by 9mths
had new left right center drive shaft :bang:
new boot joint:bang:
new d4 chips:bang:
5 electrical faults result in fiat aa pick up

Last edited:
PLEASE HELP

i broke down today my clutch has stuck to the floor i can lift it manual then it falls flat to the floor i have taken it to the garage not a fiat garage but one
i normally use and thay do hav good rep but the price to fix was £768.52 for a new clutch to be fitted is this correct i have been looking through the forum
at links to sites were a clutch kit is £224,the garage allso said it would be around 11 hrs to fit (fiat recomended time )thay said i can nt really take it anywere else as i can not move it direct line recovery took it there ,it just seems alot of money, labour charge is £38 plus vat phr i think is good any one had this issue:confused:

model is 2004 man 2.4 stilo aberth out of warrenty by 9mths
had new left right center drive shaft :bang:
new boot joint:bang:
new d4 chips:bang:
5 electrical faults result in fiat aa pick up

Hi there. £38 per hour is an amazing rate... I wish I had someone who could work on my Abarth at that rate! :D

The Stilo has a hydraulic clutch, so it could just be the hydraulics at fault and not the clutch. I'd be suprised if the clutch itself has given out given that it's a 2004. How many miles has it done?

Hi there. £38 per hour is an amazing rate... I wish I had someone who could work on my Abarth at that rate! :D

The Stilo has a hydraulic clutch, so it could just be the hydraulics at fault and not the clutch. I'd be suprised if the clutch itself has given out given that it's a 2004. How many miles has it done?

miles is 28,000mls

Yes check your hydraulics first. Is the fluid level dropping? Same reservoir for clutch and brakes so a leak at the brakes will mean that, for safety, your clutch is the first thing that goes and the clutch pedal goes to the floor and never returns just like you're experiencing

Look behind the wheels for fluid leak running down the wheel

slave 2.4 b.JPG
I think you've got one of those internal clutch slave cylinders so if that's gone then it will be a more major task to replace

Last edited:
I had exactly this problem a few months ago - the clutch slave cylinder had a leak and had to have a new clutch due to contamination plus a new slave cylinder. Mine was a 2004 with 28k on the clock also which is coincidental.

Last edited:
85k and my clutch started slipping on my Abarth Selespeed. I've also been quoted north of £600 and only one place round where I live will touch it. The clutch is available from shop4parts for about £160 and i've also been quoted £135 from sureparts. However. If it needs a new flywheel they cost £250.

if you can pump the brakes, that should bring the pedal on the clutch a bit off the floor, then pump the clutch whilst holding your foot on the brakes, if you get the clutch back, its the hydraulics and more than likely the slave cylinder, this happened on mine, and while waiting for the part they told me the above and it works, but only good for a couple of gear changes, a full run from 1st to 5th, then youll need to pump it every time you come to a stop, or knock it into neutral whislt moving and pump the clutch and you got for the next time you pull away, became second nature to me, gives you strong legs(y)

if pumping doesnt work it will be something else, but new clutch will be required regardless(y)

Back