Technical heater blowing problem

Currently reading:
Technical heater blowing problem

hi just got jtd active the problem i have is blower motor works fine all directional vents can be selected by the dial but no air or very very little comes out ? any ideas:)

Sounds very much like a pollen filter that wants changing. They are easily blocked with leaves, dust etc. and so block the airflow through it.

Not sure which system yours is but if it's the same as in my Abarth it may simply be the fact that on a cold day when your heat is set quite high, the vents only let the warm air through when the engines cold especially with it set on Auto ?

i have the JTD and mine takes about 4 miles maybe abit less to heat up. Ive noticed that quite a few fiat desils take abita time to warm up tho :p

little becky said:
i have the JTD and mine takes about 4 miles maybe abit less to heat up. Ive noticed that quite a few fiat desils take abita time to warm up tho :p
hi thanks for all replys my stilo is the jtd active 52 plate without a/c it blows cold and hot when turn temp dial wheather engine col or hot i can select any direction screen,floor, face fan runs at all 4 speeds but still get no air pressure through the vents hope that explains my problem a little better do appreciate all your replys so keep them coming because fiat want to remove dash to just look at it at a est cost of £500-£700 thanks

hi again yes took glove box out to access heater all gearing seems to work ok when dials are turned . ( if you put heater on recirculation mode you are able to c the blower motor working this bit of information may help any1 who has blower problem to check without having to remove blower)

Motor is only held in by 3 bolts so easy to get out...problem is getting it past the pedals:rolleyes:
Have you checked linkages on both sides because if they are all ok,checked filter as mentioned & cant see a blockage.....then your in trouble! Has the car always been like this or has it just started to happen? Does the air rush out of the inlet only I have seen similar things happen on scudos where the wrong fan is fitted-it turns the other way!:rolleyes:

Hi, I'm suffering from the same problem at the moment. Been meaning to book it in to be looked at but haven't found a convenient time.

Basically, if you put the air conditioning on (cold - with the snowflake icon) all vents work correctly. You can select up (windscreen), horizontal (blowers) and down (feet) and air comes out accordingly and with some force.

HOWEVER, if you have the heating set to a warm or hot temperature the directional vents just stop working. Air will ONLY blow out onto the windscreen and none from the horizontal blowers or on my feet no matter what buttons are selected. Surely this must be something electrical?

I've had a few problems with mine which has the climate control.
Basically the heating didn't do what was requested - one time it would only blow cold air on the drivers side, another it would only blow on the windscreen.
The solution has been to replace the mixture flap in the system. This is what controls what goes where.

keith price said:
hi just got jtd active the problem i have is blower motor works fine all directional vents can be selected by the dial but no air or very very little comes out ? any ideas:)

Hi Kieth,

I too have jsut bought a JTD Active and the heater blower is just as poor. Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem or is this standard??

Can anyone direct me in how to chage/clear the pollen filter?

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Ruairidh

On my 1.6 active aircon you seem to need to have the fan on to get the heat out into the passenger compartment. There does not seem to be any ram pressure on this heating/ventilation system i.e. Skoda Favorite going down the road at 40mph open a vent and air comes through even without fan... not so on my stilo :confused: Have often wondered if this is down to blocked pollen filter (never had one on any car I have previously owned and Fiat didn't change the pollen filter on 36k service)... how easy is it to change the pollen filter ones self?

I managed to remove the wipers and the plastic cover over the intake for the fan. There was a plastic frame around the intake, which looked as though it might be where the pollen filter should be.

The circular fan inside appeared free and when switched on you could feel air being sucked in, nothing very impressive though, is this just an inherent fault in these cars? Can anyone shed any light onto why the flow is so weak?

Cheers Ruairidh

hi guys and dolls just to update my original message popped into fiat with a chance of some good advice? how wrong was i they said they would need to take dash out to get to blower/heater at a est cost of £500-£700 just labour but also asked if i had a/c but i dont and his reply was you wont have pollen filter fitted but as i tool a further look it turns out it has so i removed it and hey presto perfect just a blocked filter so much for main dealer advice thanks for all replys thanks again

Well done you!:)

I notice the Stilo has pollen filter change on the schedules for absolutely every service interval (charged spearately to the customer). So where is it on your Stilo, how much is it and did you find it easy to change?

Deckchair5 said:

I notice the Stilo has pollen filter change on the schedules for absolutely every service interval (charged spearately to the customer). So where is it on your Stilo, how much is it and did you find it easy to change?

Yes where is it ? i want to chang this also :) Any body out there :D

Ruairidh Dunford said:
I managed to remove the wipers and the plastic cover over the intake for the fan. There was a plastic frame around the intake, which looked as though it might be where the pollen filter should be.

The circular fan inside appeared free and when switched on you could feel air being sucked in, nothing very impressive though, is this just an inherent fault in these cars? Can anyone shed any light onto why the flow is so weak?

Cheers Ruairidh

Seems its under the wiper panel, but confirmation of where the pollen filter is supposed to be would be useful before I attempt to take anything apart... can anybody please confirm where the pollen filter is and how you change it? :confused:

This from StiloActive in Jun 2005

"I've recently changed the pollen filter on my car. The first time it was done by my dealer and they charged me £50.
So this time i bought one from Shop 4 Parts, £9.10 and did it myself.

The trim panel on the drivers side is fairly easy to remove but you have to be careful with the end nearest the gear stick.
The pollen filter is right along side the clutch pedal which makes it hard to get to. You need to take the cover off first, it's a narrow panel about 3cm by 20cm. It's held on by one screw and two press to release clips. It takes some getting off though.
Then you just take out the old filter although again the clutch pedal does tend to get in the way. i had to bend the new filter in half to get it in but t seems to be working ok cuz my hay fever has been kept at bay.

All together it took me about 30 minutes to do".

The trim panel referred to is the long one next to the driver's left foot going from the footwell along to the gearshift. Sounds like a bit of grubbing about with a torch and plasters at the ready again:)

Deckchair5 said:

hi its positioned to left of clutch pedal remove side panel on gearstick/handbrake console then pop your head into footwell you will see a couple of tabs between blower and heater also a screw undo screw and release tabs flap will slide off to reveal filter any probs call me 07759869884 keith

Well that was pretty painless, cheers Keith
Here's the two plastic spring clips and the location of the Philips securing screw is underneath.
pollen%201.JPG

The cover then pushes off towards the front of the car
pollen%202.JPG

The filter is quite large, here it is just being pulled out. You need to rotate it vertical when it's half way out to get the clearance from the steering column.
Make a note how you did it so you can refit the same way
pollen%204.JPG

And here it is, filter absolutely plastered along with last autumn's entire leaf collection, a few odd shoes in the top corner (you know the odd ones you see on the road and wondered just where the other shoe gets to) and in the bottom right there is a dead motorcyclist I believe but I'm keeping quiet about that.

Don't think it had been touched in the life of the car. Quite a difference now in the heater vents air flow

Back