Technical Heater blower only working on setting 4.

Currently reading:
Technical Heater blower only working on setting 4.

It may be that your fan bearings require cleaning/lubrication. Its possible that only setting 4 gives enough power to make fan actually turn.

There was a recent thread with similar issue on this forum.

Another possibility is the heater resistor pack has failed (which will likely be by-passed on position 4)....

Chris

Another possibility is the heater resistor pack has failed (which will likely be by-passed on position 4)....

Chris

:yeahthat: I'd say it was the resistor. Resistor failed and was replaced so many times on my old Polo. Strangely it's gone again, so another trip to the scrappy required. :rolleyes:

I bypassed the resistor altogether on an old M reg Punto just out of curiousity - it was obviously burnt out - and the fan resumed working properly on all speeds, so how did that work? :confused:

Ooooops!

Sorry for double post above, too much beer last night :shakehead:.

Cant remember posting first time!

Is this the resistor pack ? Thanks in advance.

049.jpg

Almost identical to the M reg Punto. The little resistor on the end was the bit burnt out on that - I relaced it with a bit of fuse wire.

Attachments

• resistor.jpg
    resistor.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 10,455
Last edited:
The little component that sits on the top of the green block is a 'thermal fuse' rather than another resistor. If the whole green unit gets too hot, this 'fuse' fails (by melting inside)... which is why, Trimdoner, it worked on all speeds once you'd bypassed it. However, note that 'next time' you have no thermal overload protection so something else will burn instead!

Pete

you have no thermal overload protection so something else will burn instead!
At least I know now not to do it on my own car :eek:

It was a couple of years ago on an old Punto my daughter bought - it's long since gone, scrapped after failing its MOT on too many things. Luckily it didn't catch fire before it went!

The little component that sits on the top of the green block is a 'thermal fuse' rather than another resistor. If the whole green unit gets too hot, this 'fuse' fails (by melting inside)... which is why, Trimdoner, it worked on all speeds once you'd bypassed it. However, note that 'next time' you have no thermal overload protection so something else will burn instead!

Pete

Do you know the temperature for that thermal fuse on Punto (MK2)? Is it 216 degrees or some other (maybe part number if you have it)?

Thanks in advance

You will probably have the temperature printed on the body, but it will be hard to read if it has 'burnt'. Try cleaning it with water first, followed by a very light abrasive eg toothpaste. You should then be able to read it!

Spares can be had from Maplin
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=470
at the princely sum of 79p !

However you will have to fit the new one without overheating by soldering. If you can leave enough of the old legs use connectors from a a 1A chocalate block.

IIRC in my Picasso the old one was 144degC and I replaced with 152 degC. But in that car the resister pack is in the airflow of the fan so ifor yours it maybe a higher/lower value .

Dear all,

Apologies for the thread resurrection here but does anybody have any hints as to how to remove that resistor (£13 from fiat), I have finally found the thing but can't see how to get at the thing from either side of the centre console.

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry that this thread has been dormant for a little while but I have this problem on my Doblo family at the moment - whereabouts is this little green patch? Is it under the dash or in the engine compartment?
Thanks for your help
:)

In the Panda its under the dash, if I recall correctly you need to have the ventilation air in re-circ or outside to see it, forget which way round it is.
I couldn't see how you could get the thing out.

I know this is an old thread, but I've just experienced this problem with my girlfriends fiat 500

The blower resistor, I can see it, but getting access to it and getting it out is near on impossible so it seems. Has anyone managed to do it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Alex

Old thread but still a common problem I guess. Does anyone know WHY these thermal fuses fail? Yes, they get too hot, but what's the root cause?

I have a punto mk2 which reliably burns out the resistor pack when the fan is on setting 1 or 2. I replaced it with a new resistor pack and it worked maybe ten mins then happened again. Each time there's a burning smell in the cabin, so fairly clear it's simply getting too hot.

I can replace the thermal fuse with a piece of wire, but there seems to be no reason to think it's not simply going to happen again. So what's the root cause?

Back