Headlight Problem

Currently reading:
Headlight Problem

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. This isn't regarding a Fiat car, but I know there are lots of knowledgeable people on here, and it's a pretty non-specific problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Basically, my friends Mum took her 2004 Polo to Halfords to have a new headlight bulb fitted. Me and my friend noticed that something wasn't right when the lights were on, and shortly afterwards, the headlight appeared 'clouded'. We suggested that she take it back to Halfords to have them rectify it, but she had to take it for an MOT before she had chance to go back to Halfords (its not a short trip).

The car failed the MOT, and the garage replaced the headlight unit at considerable cost.

My initial thinking is that she should be approaching Halfords for some kind of recompense, as their bodge fitting job has led to the headlight unit needing to be replaced.

However, I dont really know what the best course of action is, or if she can even prove that Halfords hadnt fitted it correctly. I dont even know how or why the headlight unit would 'cloud over' in such a way. I'd appreciate any advice.

On the inside? They probably didnt put the cover on properly and it was condensation. I would guess that halfords will get you to sign a disclaimer aswell when you pay for the fitting service.

Yeah, it's on the inside of the clear plastic. She didnt sign anything, but I guess there could be implied T&Cs. I cant find anything on their site about it though.

Yeah, it's on the inside of the clear plastic. She didnt sign anything, but I guess there could be implied T&Cs. I cant find anything on their site about it though.

The only thing I can think of to make a headlight go cloudy, apart from condensation - which a garage wouldn't replace a light for, would be using the wrong type of bulb and it getting too hot and heating up the plastic....

If this is the case, you should be able to claim for the new light unit.

Back