General Headlight lens

Currently reading:
General Headlight lens

MCJensen

HI,
I used a turtle wax headlight lens cleaning kit, and now the outside glass is very smooth and clearer, but it is still cloudy in places. Can anyone tell me what it looks like inside the headlight lens in the photos? Is it moisture? Or something else?
thanks, Michael

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
OK thanks, so you don't think the hazing is inside the headlight lens?

You will need a professional buffer to get all the marks out, its a lot of hassle and I would not waste my time. Just give it a clean with the product you have after each wash and wax of the car and the lights will stay good enough and will pass the MOT each year

That looks like the lens has got some hazing on it. You could try a 3m cleaning kit 3M 39073 Headlight Lens Restoration Kit to Restore Dull/Faded/Discoloured Headlights: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I'd say bite the bullet and get on ebay and find some replacements.

I’m a bit of a one for DIY detailing. I’ve sanded lenses and used an orbital da on mine before. I’ve also found turtle wax metal polish & Mothers metal polishes are the best for bringing the lenses back.

If I were you, try to feel the front of the lenses with the flat of your hand and see if it’s definitely silky smooth. If it is, then it could well be that the lenses are needing attention from inside. That means taking them out the car and either trying to wash the insides somehow, or even heating and separating the clear part from the black backing and trying to polish the insides that way.

You will then have to re-bond the two sections of each lense.

Failing that, like the others have said, try and get some replacements

OK thanks, so you don't think the hazing is inside the headlight lens?

Some of that is inside from where sometimes water condenses on the lens and brings with it material in the air. If it is particularly bad you can wash the lenses inside by sloshing water back and forth with the lens pointing down. I did that with mine and then put them in the sauna - not perfect but better.. I have never noticed any corrosion damage after doing that.

Last edited:
Back