Technical Headlight failure

Currently reading:
Technical Headlight failure

Tony806

Both headlights not working, rear lights and running lights OK.
When you turn on the headlights the running lights change.
high beam does not work either.

Has anyone come across this before, I changed the lamps a couple of years ago for a higher rated version and they have been fine until now, is it possible a fuse has gone?

I am asking as it is night and I can't get access to a garage for a couple of days.

thank you

Check the earthing, run a temp earth to one of the headlights?
Did they just not work one day or go out whilst in use?
Your "upgrade bulbs" were they road legal ? or higher power?
Check the fuse first then with a friend place a finger on relay two, operate the headlights and feel if it clicks? also check the earthing
Fuse 12 (maybe inside the car) is the dip fuse-I think
The fact that both dip and beam has failed points to a greater issue

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, strange thing is both bulbs blew, i found that when I removed them, no fuse blown.
I cannot for the life of me imagine how both of them went at the same time.

I have replaced them and it is fine now.

I found a fuse box at the back of the glove box I think on my model that is where the fuses for the lights are.

Thank you

Thanks for the replies, strange thing is both bulbs blew, i found that when I removed them, no fuse blown.
I cannot for the life of me imagine how both of them went at the same time.

I have replaced them and it is fine now.

I found a fuse box at the back of the glove box I think on my model that is where the fuses for the lights are.

Thank you

I'm glad its fixed, but that does not explain why the main beam didn't work? IE when you want to flash someone? or did you get a little confused which I could understand, that said I've never had two fail at the exact time but either way its fixed.

Stupidity on my part explains the high beam failure.

I have been around cars all my life and it came as a complete surprise today when I realised the high beam light is housed in the running light pod.

Neve gave it a thought, so when I flashed the lights and the running lights flashed brighter I thought I had a fault.

You learn something new most days.

Back