General Headlight blows for the 2nd time [duff connector?]

Currently reading:
General Headlight blows for the 2nd time [duff connector?]

mostlyharmless

For the second time in a month the drivers side headlight has gone. The bulb was the correct type and the fuse is ok and the correct one. Any ideas what else could cause it to blow again or is it just bad luck?

Im kinda thankful its not the passenger side bulb as that seems to need the entire car dismantling to get to. I think fiat must have designed the headlights and then built the rest of the car around them

MH

It's either moisture in the lens assembly, which caused a bulb to go on mine, a faulty bulb, contaminated bulb when it was installed, or just bad luck.

I like your idea about Fiat building the car around the headlights though, I can see where you're coming from there!

After ripping my hands to pieces changing the bulb it turned out it hadnt blown, nor had the fuse gone. So its now in fiat having its wiring looked at and I am off trying to sell a kidney to fund the inevitable bill.

Amusingly the plastic tray underneath the engine fell off in the car park so they are also fixing that. Probably with my other kidney.

MH

Did you check continuity through the bulb? I've nearly been caught out by this before- when the filament looks ok visually, but is broken elsewhere inside the bulb.

For the second time in a month the drivers side headlight has gone. The bulb was the correct type and the fuse is ok and the correct one. Any ideas what else could cause it to blow again or is it just bad luck?

Im kinda thankful its not the passenger side bulb as that seems to need the entire car dismantling to get to. I think fiat must have designed the headlights and then built the rest of the car around them

MH

If you get a small angled mirror (dental style) and a pair of long pliers (10" forceps are ideal) then it's possible to change the main & dipped bulbs reasonably easily, after removing only the battery cover. You do have to be careful, deft & patient, but I did one this week in 10mins with no blood at all.

changing the bulb isn't the problem its refitting the cover on properly afterwards.

My patent forceps method only required the cover to be unclipped and hinged back - just enough space to slip a bulb through w/o getting dirt on the glass. Use the forceps to gradually lever the plug off the back of the bulb, and tuck it somewhere out of the way.

Then unclip the wire retainer and pull it upwards until it wedges against something and stays out of the way. Be ready to catch the old bulb if it falls out - I used a telescopic magnet for that.

Then grip the new bulb lightly by the upper terminal (alignment peg on bulb surround upwards), before easing it into the lamp casing and then the empty socket. Get it approximately square, and slip your hand in to place a fingertip on the terminals.

Lean down and look through the headlamp as you wiggle the new bulb around until the alignment peg slots home and it's sitting square. Hold the bulb in that position with a long screwdriver while you push the wire clip back over and hook it closed.

Push the cable plug thingy back on, push the hinged cover closed and clip it down.

It probably wouldn't work for everyone, and there's the risk of losing the new bulb into the engine bay if you fumble, but when it works it's soooo quick & easy!

Well its fixed now, Fiat implied I was an idiot and hadn't fitted the bulb back properly, however when it stopped working again 10 minutes after leaving the garage I got to go back and tell them they were idiots and couldnt fit a bulb properly.

They replaced the connector and it now works. I think they were a bit too excited by noticing that the engine tray underneath has half fallen off and they might be able to get £130 out of me for it.

MH

I would have thought it's extremely likely to happen again so I'd check the voltage- not across the battery terminals- but very important- check it between the battery positive terminal and a good shiny metal earth point on the engine or, even better, on the alternator.

The same position bulb blowing again just 10mins after fitting is a big clue the voltage at the bulb is wrong

There is a Fiat modification out which takes care of constant blowing bulbs

Last edited:
My apologies, it did stop working 10mins after leaving the garage but the bulb was ok, it was the connector, though Fiat tried to shift the blame around like a hot potato.

Cheers guys though, you lot are far more helpful and seem to know far more than any garage ive been to!

MH

Back