Head Gasket???

Currently reading:
Head Gasket???

boychild

The wife's '03 1.2 punto heaters have been playing up. I had broke the knob that controls the fan which I replaced myself from the scrap yard. However, the last few days, when the car is in idle it will only blow cold air. Its not until I drive it for a 10 mins or so before the heaters kick in. Now could this simply be because of the freezing temperatures we are experiencing at the moment, that the car is too cold until its being properly run, or could it be a sign of the head gasket going? My only concern is that today while waiting for a pump at the petrol station, the engine temp gauge went up to just under the red, soon as I got moving again it dropped right back down to under half. Other than that it seems to be fine, I've never seen it get that hot before, but then again neither of us have had reason to really keep much check on it until now. Ive checked the coolant levels and it looks fine although it looked a bit frothy on top when the engine was a bit hot, not sure if thats normal?

Advice appreciated

Steve

The wife's '03 1.2 punto heaters have been playing up. I had broke the knob that controls the fan which I replaced myself from the scrap yard. However, the last few days, when the car is in idle it will only blow cold air. Its not until I drive it for a 10 mins or so before the heaters kick in. Now could this simply be because of the freezing temperatures we are experiencing at the moment, that the car is too cold until its being properly run, or could it be a sign of the head gasket going? My only concern is that today while waiting for a pump at the petrol station, the engine temp gauge went up to just under the red, soon as I got moving again it dropped right back down to under half. Other than that it seems to be fine, I've never seen it get that hot before, but then again neither of us have had reason to really keep much check on it until now. Ive checked the coolant levels and it looks fine although it looked a bit frothy on top when the engine was a bit hot, not sure if thats normal?

Advice appreciated

Steve

Look under the oil filler cap and if there is a creamy substance then 99/100 its the head gasket. The other problem could be a broken thermostat, which would explain the fluctuation in the temperature gauge

Hi m8,

No creamy substance so need to check the thermostat thanks could you point my in the right direction.

Thanks

Steve

Heater not blowing hot is one of the signs of a blown head gasket. Basically, air gets trapped in the heater matrix. I have had this twice. once on an Uno and once on a Tipo. You will need to get the system pressure tested to be sure. You can also have the coolant tested for exhaust gases. Does the coolant smell of exhaust fumes after being run? Does the pressure rise very quickly even when cold?

Last edited:
i also had this problem with 1.2 8v mk1 punto, all that was causing this was an air lock in the system all i had to do to resolve this matter was simple take of the header tank cap and rev the engine and hold it reving from under neath the bonnet ( so u can see the header tank ) and watch for any air bubbles coming out from the tank once u think no more air bubbles are goin to come out (when the coolant sits at a constant level) then screw back on the cap and let ur engine tick over for a good 15 mins keeping an eye on the engine temp and see if the heaters still blow cold if they dont then all it is an airlock if not more than likely head gasket(y)

UPDATE

Well found out the water pump collapsed which then blow the cylinder head and the timing belt so of to the garage the car it has gone.

Steve

Howdy everyone first post on this forum :) hope ye can help me my cousin was getting a mk2 punto scrapped because of an over heating issue but the body was in too good condition to be broken so i gave him fifty quid for it... the car wasnt over heating without water in it but was when there was water in it is it just an air lock or could it be the head on the way out????

Heater not blowing hot is one of the signs of a blown head gasket. Basically, air gets trapped in the heater matrix. I have had this twice. once on an Uno and once on a Tipo. You will need to get the system pressure tested to be sure. You can also have the coolant tested for exhaust gases. Does the coolant smell of exhaust fumes after being run? Does the pressure rise very quickly even when cold?

Some cars have valves fitted to the matrix hoses so the matrix can be removed without having to drain down the whole system, simply shut off both valves & just drain the matrix.
You go through a winter with no heat in the car then the rad boils over in the summer & replacing the split hose leads you to discovering said valves - which were not to be seen anywhere in the haynes manual - and noting the valves were in the off position.

Could be any of the above, plus thermostat. Still, DIY swapping the HG will cost you less than 100 quid. Check the water pump, too: Puntos tend to be neglected -- if the car freezes cos someone didn't swap the antifreeze the pump will strip its impeller.

ye i was plannin on changing the thermostat anyways id like to get it turbo'd if the heads not goin but if nt might try get the turbo engine transplanted into it but there hard enough to come across:worship:

Back