Off Topic Has anyone got attached to their 'old' car ?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Has anyone got attached to their 'old' car ?

Note this is OFF TOPIC - anything goes :)

I checked carzone.ie today to double check on a particular A500 and noticed that one that has been for sale since last March is now in the another garage that it had come from in Feb 2010. And they now have another one. Priced at €16,950 and €17,250. Irish prices for a '09 with 21K & 26K.

From having previous dealings with this garage they know me and have offered €10K on my '09 Funk white 1.4 with 6300 miles.

Upgrade cost is €7k for the 'cheaper' A500.

Last November I was all 'gun ho' for changing the '08 1.4 Sport for the A500 above at a cash difference of €6,500 but it didn't work out. But since having the Funk white I've got really fond of the colour and the glass roof & the white ambiance and for some reason I'm reluctant to change particularly with the low mileage.

I had hoped to pass the FW on to the OH but it's a little premature for her to 'take it off my hands'.

Is a A500 really worth another €7K on top of a 1.4 of the same year and with higher mileage?

Has anyone else found that when it came to shifting a car on that they got attached to it ?

Attachments

• abarth Cork reg.jpg
    abarth Cork reg.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Abarth KK.jpg
    Abarth KK.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Funk white.jpg
    Funk white.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 22
Note this is OFF TOPIC - anything goes :)

I checked carzone.ie today to double check on a particular A500 and noticed that one that has been for sale since last March is now in the another garage that it had come from in Feb 2010. And they now have another one. Priced at €16,950 and €17,250. Irish prices for a '09 with 21K & 26K.

From having previous dealings with this garage they know me and have offered €10K on my '09 Funk white 1.4 with 6300 miles.

Upgrade cost is €7k for the 'cheaper' A500.

Last November I was all 'gun ho' for changing the '08 1.4 Sport for the A500 above at a cash difference of €6,500 but it didn't work out. But since having the Funk white I've got really fond of the colour and the glass roof & the white ambiance and for some reason I'm reluctant to change particularly with the low mileage.

I had hoped to pass the FW on to the OH but it's a little premature for her to 'take it off my hands'.

Is a A500 really worth another €7K on top of a 1.4 of the same year and with higher mileage?

Has anyone else found that when it came to shifting a car on that they got attached to it ?
I don't really get emotional about the 500 if I'm honest, if it got written off now we could get one exactly the same, brand new :) When the 500 goes out of production and 500's start to look real shabby, then I might get attached to ours. Still wouldn't sell it of course, but that's just because it's just stupid to sell a near new car which is reliable.

Yes, i get attached to my cars.

Ive only ever had 4 cars, A 'C' reg Micra 10 years ago was my first. Then 2 puntos before the 500.

I part exed my 55 plate Punto because it got to the point where it needed money spent on it and would have needed quite a few parts soonish. I was looking at changing it anyway. I often miss it as it never had a single problem in the 5 years i had it. Kinda regret getting rid of it sometimes.

My first Punto (2nd car) also never had a single problem, but it was broken into and it never felt the same after that. 2k of audio equipment stolen. And none of it was visible, and i turned it all off a few miles before parking anywhere! I miss that car too.

My first car, the Micra was great because it was my first car. But it failed the MOT on practically everything except the wing mirrors after 7 months. I still remember the smell of oil it had in the mornings. :cool:

Last edited:
I sold my Lupo of just under 10 years 2 weeks ago, I found it really hard. Just have to keep thinking about my new car (due soon!) and remind myself that there were problems with the car that would've cost £££ to put right plus the radio was cranky to the point it often didn't work and it needed a new set of tyres etc etc.
My first car was a diesel metro, it was a great little car when it worked - I could drive from Lincoln to Newcastle and back on 1 tank of fuel. But it didn't like wet or cold weather - to the point where we were having to jump start it twice daily. I was glad to get rid of it!

Don't buy the A500 yet, €7k is better in the bank till OH is ready. Anyway what will you talk about if you have the A500 & also you can't get one before I do (y)

I am very attached to my car, every time I drive it I feel smug about it, it lives up to all my car dreams, I have fitted an Ikea 2 seat sofa in it, 2x small waterbutts and stands included.

Its nippy, spacious, good looking, cheap to tax, so it would take a lot for me to trade mine in.

Being a petrol/diesel head i like to change my cars.If i was on footballers wages i would have 10 cars in my stable.
I did keep my Broom Yellow Cinq Sporting for 8 years and the Rover Mini for 7 years,but mostly i have changed cars every 2 to 4 years.That way you do not have to find too much money for the swap.
The only car i wished i had kept was the Jaguar V12 E.Type.I did keep it for 4 years in the 70s but i could have sold it for Thousands today.
I only kept my Panda 100 HP for 2 years,but i think i will keep the Smart diesel for quite a while yet.It is perfect for today with 60 MPG round town,70+MPG on a longer run,Free road Tax,Automatic, and £70 for a service at the local Mercedes/Smart Indie.
I do get tempted when i see the Abarth 500 and the Mazda MX5,but i must behave myself and hold off for a while longer.

Being a petrol/diesel head i like to change my cars.If i was on footballers wages i would have 10 cars in my stable.
I did keep my Broom Yellow Cinq Sporting for 8 years and the Rover Mini for 7 years,but mostly i have changed cars every 2 to 4 years.That way you do not have to find too much money for the swap.
The only car i wished i had kept was the Jaguar V12 E.Type.I did keep it for 4 years in the 70s but i could have sold it for Thousands today.
I only kept my Panda 100 HP for 2 years,but i think i will keep the Smart diesel for quite a while yet.It is perfect for today with 60 MPG round town,70+MPG on a longer run,Free road Tax,Automatic, and £70 for a service at the local Mercedes/Smart Indie.
I do get tempted when i see the Abarth 500 and the Mazda MX5,but i must behave myself and hold off for a while longer.

Thing is if people didn't change cars so often they'd be able to afford to keep those cars which go on to be classics, or they regret letting go.

Any regrets on the Peugeot? :)

DEFINITELY.... but wife > Peugeot 504 :)

Thankfully I know that my dad took all the useable bits off it and it'll help keep other 504's on the road. He's not got 2 engines, 2 gearboxes, a diff or 3 and loads of other things like alternators, starter motors and so on.

I do get attached to some cars too. Bought my 1994 reg Alfa 155 in 1996 and only sold it when the 500 arrived in 2008, because I had nowhere to keep it:eek:, I even made sure it went to a fellow enthusiast. The 500 was supposed to have been kept for a similar length of time, but swapped it on a whim, by my standards, for the MX5 after 3 years, because of its suspension issues and the state of my road, (Guess what the road is being fixed this week at the costs approaching a million.:rolleyes: )

Not sure about the MX5 yet, love top down motoring which is a big surprise for me as it was never on my wish list, being a Coupe/Saloon man really. But I'm not really liking the Non Italian Driving position, and when I did 3 plus hours drivng it from Sheffield to Oldham and back last Saturday, I got backache which is a first for me. Stearing wheel is too close and pedals too far away, will keep trying different positions until hopefully one becames natural.

I'm Also rather attached to my Alfa GT Junior which I can't see me ever selling, unless I have to move into an old folks home in 30 years time:cry:, in which case my nephew or Nieces might get it if any appear to appreciate the joys of a really great drive.

To drag this back towards topic, remember that the 7K price difference is nothing to do with value.

There is a chunk of whatever you call VAT plus a dealer margin too.

Cheers

D

I quite happy for the thread to continue - hence the 'Off-topic' classification. Quite enjoying some of the inputs what with passing on their 'pride and joy' to their nieces & nephews.:)

The €6.5K difference that I had last Nov. was on the A500 with the red leather and it was from a Non-SIMI garage. This was against a '08 1.4 Sport with 37K but he couldn't find the service history of the A500 and then it went 'pear shaped'.
This car is now back in a Fiat dealership - a SIMI - so your point is very valid - unless it can be sold as a 'Trade sale'.:confused:
When I looked at the Parkers guide the values of the 500 & the A500 the difference in book value closes rapidly towards the 4 year mark but the trade in value of a A500 is much higher than the 500 in comparison to the Private sale value. It's a dilemma for most wannabe Abarth owners - the gap can sometimes be too much on 'Trading up'. Given the scarity of A500s here 'supply & demand' comes into the equation. And of course the garage have to make a profit to stay in business.

were you going to px the 500 or give that to your oh and px her's ?

btw: is A500 the only choice? what else is out there like A500 - Mini Cooper S ??

Thing is if people didn't change cars so often they'd be able to afford to keep those cars which go on to be classics, or they regret letting go.

Yes i do agree with you,but my E.Type would now be 40 years old. I could not see myself driving the same car for 40 years. Also petrol was a different price in those days,and at 15 MPG which is what the car did,it would cost a fortune to run today.
The best thing would have been to store it,but again we all part ex our cars for financial reasons unless we are footballers or pop stars.

Yes i do agree with you,but my E.Type would now be 40 years old. I could not see myself driving the same car for 40 years. Also petrol was a different price in those days,and at 15 MPG which is what the car did,it would cost a fortune to run today.
The best thing would have been to store it,but again we all part ex our cars for financial reasons unless we are footballers or pop stars.

Do we? We're planning to buy another car and we're going to garage the Subaru and restore it.

were you going to px the 500 or give that to your oh and px her's ?

btw: is A500 the only choice? what else is out there like A500 - Mini Cooper S ??

At the moment the OH is using a Mito MJ and is 'travelling the country' - I can't say too much on a public forum - but she needs the slightly bigger car for carrying samples in and it's driven ocassionally by another guy who is a 'hard' driver. I doubt that the FW 500 will take the same abuse as the Mito which if I'm honest about it is a much better car - easily returns 50mpg and the Dynamic setting is pretty cool. I will know early next year what her needs are.

The MINI Copper S - I did look at them on 2 seperate occassions and to get the new Version II with the Turbo (the Supercharger is a guzzler) they are quite expensive and are at the current A500 Irish money. After meeting a 'client' last day with a Civic Type-S a '07 that cost him €7K I did check out the impressive spec that the VTec engine 'thows out'. I've formed a bond with the 500 and I would think of myself as a traitor to jump ship now to BMW. The 500 is really a 'plaything' since I have a Marea on 'borrowed time' for carting stuff around in.:)
After seeing the grs/km on the Mito TCT at 121grs/km there are strong financial reasons to wait until a sub 120grs/m A500 'DSG' arrives - again a contradiction on my advice given not to bother waiting.;)

After seeing the grs/km on the Mito TCT at 121grs/km there are strong financial reasons to wait until a sub 120grs/m A500 'DSG' arrives - again a contradiction on my advice given not to bother waiting.;)

I like Minis and was about to buy the Cooper d, specing it came to £19.5k :eek:, it wasn't a logical buy and not value for money... 500 was accidental and you know what I had to ask the sales guy in Fiat Direct showroom if the price was right - seriously I kid you not !!

A500 with 120g/km sounds great, but you know what DSG repairs scare me, plethora of issues with dual clutches and then Fiat telling you its your fault for riding the clutch and all that - sorry a bit negative on something that is not even here.

Back