Technical Handbrake

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake

busdennis

Struggling to get a good hand brake after fitting new discs, pads and shoes, the hand brake locks at 4 clicks but I’m not happy with the amount of drag when the hand brake is released. Backing of the shoes results in a hand brake that does lock but can be rocked forwards and backwards 4 inches or so.
Thanks for any tips 😀

Struggling to get a good hand brake after fitting new discs, pads and shoes, the hand brake locks at 4 clicks but I’m not happy with the amount of drag when the hand brake is released. Backing of the shoes results in a hand brake that does lock but can be rocked forwards and backwards 4 inches or so.
Thanks for any tips 😀
See attached i may have originaly got this from here so thanks to originator.
just had a look doesnt seem to be too helpfull

Attachments

• Handbrake adjustment.pdf
    190 KB · Views: 80
Make sure all the handbrake cables are free. I replaced the two on the rear as they were starting to stick and when off the outer had corroded through,
so while everything was apart it was a good time to do the job.

Even after replacing cables, shoes, and disc/drum arrangement I still had the brakes dragging if the handbrake was adjusted for less than six notches.
OK 'just' at eight notches so left at that.

Yes, the van will move a few inches when the handbrake is applied, did re-check that everything was in place (shoe fixings etc) but still does it. Passed an MOT like this so if they are happy, so am I.

I was having trouble getting my twin rear axle Fiat/Alko handbrake to work well enough to pass its Technical Inspection. A mechanic who always did our work, years ago, explained hiw he always did it and subsequently it passed without problems.

His method:-

The Fiat procedure is followed up to the final part and thereafter, with the handbrake in the off position, tighten the handbrake adjustment nut until it is just pulling on the brake shoes with all wheels showing the same drag. Then backing off the adjuster until the shoes just release on all wheels at the same time. Pull the handbrake up a few times and then check again that all wheels have similar friction on partial handbrake operation, ie balanced action on all 4 rear wheels. Finally see how many clicks on the handbrake lock the wheels, 5 or 6 to locked all wheels is fine.

If everything is adjusted correctly there is a lot of leverage to create a lot of pressure at the brake shoes. Leverage is applied not just by the length of the handbrake lever, but the leverage is increased even further by the angle of the levers in the linkage. So, as gm6vxb says, you get at least 4 clicks between the handbrake being hard on and fully off. I can test my handbrake without getting dirty - on a very gentle slope which is only just enough to start the van moving. Try it one click at a time and you can see where the handbrake just starts to bite. If its starting to bite at around the second click its around the seventh click before its on hard - and you can pull it up even further.

Back