Technical Handbrake broke

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake broke

lakerfiat

Any tips on how to change a handbrake cable on a 2005 1.9 JTD (rear drums) wife snapped the cable completely just before the block - does a replacement come with all the necessary bits and bobs local parts dealer - is quoting 17.80 ex vat

If it's the short cable between the handbrake itself and the junction of the two cables to the rear wheels, then yes the new cable comes with all the bits you'll need. It's an easy job, just remove the gaiter from around the handbrake and have a look under the car in that area, it's obvious how to replace it.

:) sorted it in about 40 mins - which is a fair saving on what the main dealer would have charged.

My cable is stretched and needs replacing, any help on cost or availability much appreciated.

03 115JTD ELX

If its the short one just get a replacement they are cheap and its an easy fix - there is a plastic adjustment knob at the lever end which allows you to get tension just right - I got mine from a local factors no bother

My replacement cable came through today, unfortunately I ordered the wrong one :bang: I was in a bit of a rush when I ordered it, and tired...and other excuses :eek:
So if anyone needs a R/H rear cable for a 1.6 petrol Multipla...

I came up with a quick repair in the meantime.
The cable had snapped (was badly corroded) right at the rear end, so I made up a fitting from an old 12mm bolt, to clamp on the end of the cable, with a screw through the barrel piece that threads into the clamp fitting.

I've just rung my usual/local parts supplier, Allparts, they have them in stock, £10 +VAT.
They're pretty good on prices, and usually have most parts on the shelf.
http://www.allpartsautomotive.co.uk/allparts/

Last edited:
Back