General handbrake adjustment

Currently reading:
General handbrake adjustment

I don't think the hydraulic fluid offers much resistance - pushing it uphill - just going on my experience with front calipers. They're always easier than rear calipers and they have more fluid to push (larger diameter).

Getting the rear caliper pistons to move in can be tricky, as sometimes they seem to rotate without moving in, as though they've fallen off the threads (perhaps this happens if the brake pedal is accidentally pushed with the caliper removed). I've had to very carefully give a squeeze with a G-clamp, then try to rotate (with the cube-shaped 3/8" drive tool), then squeeze, etc. This has always worked eventually BUT with the Stilo, I must remember to turn the other way for one side ;)

It would be ideal to have a G-clamp with a matching screw thread and the turning-part having protrusions to engage in the piston. That would be a very useful tool. Is that what the FIAT tool looks like? :)

Meanwhile, as we all seem to agree, it's better to let the fluid out of the caliper when replacing pads on cars like the Stilo. Three advantages: no risk to the ABS (as Decks mentioned), dirt and moisture tends to sit at the lowest point so the caliper contains the worst fluid (as Argonought mentioned), and finally my reason: the reservoir may have been topped-up as the pads wore down, so pushing fluid back into it will cause a messy overflow. Not as important as the other two reasons, but a factor anyway :eek:

In reality though, I use the opportunity to change the fluid when I do a pad change since it's usually every three years or so. I just hook up a clear plastic tube and put it into a bottle/jar on top of something, above the level of the caliper. Then when I slacken the bleed nipple, I can see the fluid seeping out. A few pumps of the pedal to empty the reservoir, then fill up with new fluid and I can see the fluid being changed - from dirty to clean. This all takes perhaps ten minutes with the wheels already off the car. Brake fluid is cheap considering how important it is, and it should be changed every two years from what I've read. My guess is that most Stilos will still have the original fluid...

The great thing is that there's no need for an assistant, because if the system is never empty, it's just a case of pushing fluid through with the pedal. Having the jar/bottle above the caliper means that the bleed nipple is completely immersed; no risk of air getting in before tightening and plenty of chance to inspect for air bubbles. Of course, the tubing is essential for this, and I'd never open the bleed nipple without a tube attached - that would be asking for trouble.

I find if the tubing is rinsed with water after use, it stays clear and flexible for longer (brake fluid seems to make PVC pipe hard and opaque!)

-Alex

Last edited:
Tried an Easibleed kit Alex? Unbeatable for ease of use and speed of one man bleeding a full system with no spills.

Rather than empty the system, fill it full of air and then try to get the air back out again, just have a never ending supply of new stuff pouring in and bleed from all orifices!

My next thought is "If the handbrake mechanism can push the caliper piston forward then with a bit of ingenuity it might be made to reverse the process?"
Wouldn't that be nice?:)

budweg caliper 2.JPG
I mean- look at it. Just one screw holding the handbrake lever on, bleed valve just there, it's just too tempting. Take the lever and spring off and it's got to be easy to turn the centre adjusting screw back where it came from and bring the piston back with it. An alternative to pushing and turning the piston in from the front. Bet the screw is rusted on though:devil:

Last edited:
Decks, for the guy who famously discovered the Fiat Wind Back Tool (lets remind everyone it's only about £15) you sure try to put people off using it :p

.....and you can get your money back in just one use :)

You too eh?
Well , here's me in a quiet moment, 4 litres of US truck, free petrol and no speed limits:D
View attachment 27228
LOL! Were you the county sheriff or something?

You're cruisin' for a bruisin' from rroope... we're heading a bit off topic (y)

It is good to figure out how to do things without special tools, as 13,800km away in New Zealand I'm not sure if the FIAT windback tool exists (probably not).

I don't think the Easibleed tool is necessary - well I don't need it anyway - and I haven't seen that here either. Though, I've tried a couple of non-return valve devices and they don't work. With the bottle placed high, you don't need them.

Cheers,
-Alex

LOL! Were you the county sheriff or something?
Ha ha! No
omanlear1.JPG
I looked after this baby. No problems with brakes on this one
scan0011.jpg
But if we were running out of runway we always had this! Maybe a cool mod for the Stilo:)

You got to be joking got enough beeps as it is :)

Beep Beep Beep parachute deployment :devil:

The pack includes both RH & LH drives. The only common item is the pressure disc which locks with the piston. Mine actually came with the wrong locking bolt although this is dead easy to fix as long as you don't try to use before fixing it (it's too long).

I originally tried to change my pads using a universal piston retraction cube. It's fair to say some members have had success with this but I sweated for hours without any success (jolly good work out if you're looking for one :D )

Using the Fiat tool made the job a doddle (and something you could look forward to doing instead of dreading)

I'll PM you.

Fantastic, thanks.

I particularly enjoyed
Deckchair5 said:
Hmmm. Would be nice to have something that fits, works, does the job quickly without the precious O positive leaking out everywhere though.

Wonder if all FIAT owners are O+ like me then :D

I haven't even thought about this job on my Stilo, but I'm sure there will be another rear-disc pad change somewhere along the line, and the tool doesn't look too specific (I'm sure it will suffice for other FIATs).

Thanks again to all involved
-Alex

Getting back on track a bit.......

Changing Brake Fluid

The manual specifies 36k or 2 years or 3 years :confused: This looks like a typo error in my manual so guess it's every 3 years (or 36k).

As mine hasn't been changed for 4.5 years decided it was time it was done.

Local company did it for £25+VAT which I thought was pretty good considering it took them over an hour (took them a while to find adaptors to fit the Stilo) :cool:

Had an interesting word with the technician who used the slow pressurized system to do it. Apparently the fluid coming out was just as clear as that going in (aside from a theoretically higher water content) and was a lot cleaner than some cars he'd worked on of similar age. He pointed out that using the brake pedal to pump fluid through the system was a dangerous practice with ABS so on that basis looks like it's far safer to simply leave well alone if you haven't got the right equipment :)

Does the handbrake cable adjustment have to be done with the rear of the car on axle stands, or is that not necessary on the Stilo ?

I've read your excellent Guide, Deckchair (before I posted here), but it doesn't say whether or not raising the car is necessary. AFAIK it usually is on most other cars.

Back