General handbrake adjustment

Currently reading:
General handbrake adjustment

You need cable adjustment as you may need to fit a new cable or the old one stretches. The handbrake still works but it comes up to far. The only self adjustment is the clearance between the pads and the discs. The cable adjustment alters how far up the handbrake lever is when the pads touch

Anyone thought through why the rear brake pistons are threaded and the front ones not? And why threaded in different directions?
I've heard some answers but I still raise an eyebrow when thinking it through
For handbrake auto-adjustment I've always assumed :)

Thinking about it, as you say, the actual cable adjuster is only required for cable stretch and has no bearing at all on thickness of pads (apart from perhaps the incremental turning of the piston)

Argonaught said:
Thinking about it, as you say, the actual cable adjuster is only required for cable stretch and has no bearing at all on thickness of pads (apart from perhaps the incremental turning of the piston)

And that was exactly the point I made :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway - when replacing rear disc pads on other FIATs (and I'm sure the Stilo is very similar) I've found it's ESSENTIAL to slacken off the handbrake cable! This helps the pistons wind back in and also ensures that the self-adjusters operate correctly. Once you've given the brake pedal ten prods or so, you can retighten the handbrake. Thanks PNL for showing us how to make the adjustment!

Given that this applied to my X1/9, my Croma, my Lancia Thema, my Uno Turbo, someone's Coupe, another X1/9, and of course the 164, I'm pretty confident it will apply to the Stilo as well, but correct me if not ;)
You obviously need to make sure the handbrake is OFF but I found that you could actually see the handbrake cable was very loose when winding back the pistons so there was no real need to slacken it (could be different for some Stilos I guess). Some people have mentioned that allowing brake fluid to escape via the bleed valve can make retracting the pistons a lot easier, which I suspect it will, but I found using the correct tool it was an easy job anyway. When done I just used the handbrake to wind the pistons back and the handbrake ended up in pretty much the same position as when I started :)

The front pad calipers auto adjust so why do the rears need a thread? And why in different directions?

I'm not asking as a "I know something you don't" quiz, I genuinely haven't found a convincing answer

The front pad calipers auto adjust so why do the rears need a thread? And why in different directions?

I'm not asking as a "I know something you don't" quiz, I genuinely haven't found a convincing answer

So how long is a piece of string the universal answer to many questions ;)

You're confusing me now Decks :confused:

Surely that's because you don't have a handbrake for the front wheels.

...or to put it another way. It allows the rear pads to be adjusted by BOTH the Foot AND Hand Brake.

What have I missed ?

No wish to confuse Argo, I confuse myself enough:)

handbrake cable 3.JPG
But not really, you see the handbrake moves the whole caliper piston closer to the disc and back again when you release it. There's no self adjustment there which is why you need the cable length adjuster.

The pads will hydraulically self adjust when you apply the footbrake the same as the front pads

It's tempting to think the caliper pistons rotate down the thread in normal use but they don't. The thread just stops the piston retracting too far and to make life difficult for bozos like us replacing the pads. But why different handed threads?

Last edited:
No wish to confuse Argo, I confuse myself enough:)

View attachment 27141
But not really, you see the handbrake moves the whole caliper piston closer to the disc and back again when you release it. There's no self adjustment there which is why you need the cable length adjuster.

The pads will hydraulically self adjust when you apply the footbrake the same as the front pads

It's tempting to think the caliper pistons rotate down the thread in normal use but they don't. The thread just stops the piston retracting too far and to make life difficult for bozos like us replacing the pads. But why different handed threads?
I follow from your diagram Decks but you don't show the internal mechanism.

There has to be a rachet like mechanism which allows the handbrake to wind the piston in (I think this is mechanical rather than hydraulic). There's no question that it does this as I've done it myself. You can either pump the brake pedal or use the handbrake like a jack (i.e pump it). The piston obviously has to turn if using the handbrake but I'm not sure if it does when using the footbrake (I'd guess not).

The fact that the pistons are left and right handed must be the biggest clue as that allows the handbrake cable to pull uniformly from the top on both sides (otherwise it would need to pull from top on one side and bottom on the other - a bit cock handed but at least Fiat could have made their wind-back tool a bit cheaper as you'd only need the one :D )

I think it's the other way around Argo, the "ratchet mechanism" is purely the hydraulics, exactly the same as the front pads, pushing the pad out to the disc and the disc pushes the pad back so it's just skimming the surface again. The handbrake lever rotates the caliper innards which moves the piston internally just a little along the thread, not much but enough for the handbrake mechanism to push the pad up to the disc. That would explain the left and right hand threads. That makes sense to me now

Thanks for talking that through:)

Last edited:
Yes, the mechanism is there because the handbrake IS auto-adjusting. It has to be, because the amount the pads wear down is significant compared with the pad travel from brakes-off to brakes-on. ;)

On the older FIATs/Lancias/Alfa Romeos that I mentioned before, both pistons wound back in clockwise. I'm not sure why FIAT would have changed that to one clockwise, one anticlockwise.

-Alex

On the older FIATs/Lancias/Alfa Romeos that I mentioned before, both pistons wound back in clockwise. I'm not sure why FIAT would have changed that to one clockwise, one anticlockwise.
Alex, interesting you should say that as my comment was purely theory

Argonought said:
The fact that the pistons are left and right handed must be the biggest clue as that allows the handbrake cable to pull uniformly from the top on both sides (otherwise it would need to pull from top on one side and bottom on the other - a bit cock handed but at least Fiat could have made their wind-back tool a bit cheaper as you'd only need the one)

Never realized Fiat actually made cars like that :D

Don't get the chance to see the internals of the Budweg calipers as most people understandably change the whole unit without delving in but as they're very expensive here's some piccies which show the internals and how it works
This is off an MR2 which is very similar to the Stilo
mr2 1.jpg
Exploded view apart from handbrake mechanism

mr2 2.jpg
New piston
mr2 3.jpg
Internal shot showing handbrake adjuster screw thread
mr2 4.jpg

mr2 5.jpg
Very coarse screw thead

mr2 8.jpg
Internals of piston, fitting new securing nut plate and finally the securing circlip
mr2 6.jpg

mr2 7.jpg
Assembled unit.
The screw threads don't need to be handed on these as the lever pulls inboard

handbrake attachment.JPG
Whereas on the Stilo the lever pulls forward which is good for a straighter cable run but needs handed threads internally

Last edited:
Not my Mr2 unfortunately

By inboard i mean the handbrake lever on the MR2 moves in the same plane as the caliper piston

On the Stilo the lever moves at right angles to the piston travel so needs to be handed with left or right hand threads. Better for cable runs and efficiency but slightly more complicated handbake mechanism

Now we can see what's inside we can imagine more of what we're doing when winding back the pistons!

Last edited:
You can see why it's a good idea when winding back the piston to clamp the brake hose and open the caliper bleed valve so the hydraulic fluid is just pushed out of the cylinder rather than back uphill into the system. The fluid is usually contaminated too from sitting in the caliper all that time, not good shoving that back into the system. Wonder why your ABS valve doesn't work afterwards.

The piston should rotate quite easily in the bore but pushing the hydraulics back uphill as well would make it much harder which is why people struggle so much to reset the pistons often, we hear, resorting to hammer blows of frustration:cry:

Last edited:
You can see why it's a good idea when winding back the piston to clamp the brake hose and open the caliper bleed valve so the hydraulic fluid is just pushed out of the cylinder rather than back uphill into the system. The fluid is usually contaminated too from sitting in the caliper all that time, not good shoving that back into the system. Wonder why your ABS valve doesn't work afterwards.
Is this what you've actually done or is it just theory as I've often wondered how much easier winding back the pistons would be without the resistance of the brake fluid. Of course it's a two edged sword as careless opening of the bleed valves could allow dirt into the system so you could end up even worse off.

You can always go for a complete fluid change anyway :)

Back