Technical Hand throttle assembly at accelerator pedal end

Currently reading:
Technical Hand throttle assembly at accelerator pedal end

RDS

Hello all

can anyone please verify if the pedal (pic attached) is as per the original, which had the hand throttle cable attached, or if it has been butchered, missing part or just wrong.

I would like to reinstate the hand throttle so all lose up pics of anyone's hand throttle assembly (both at the pull and the pedal) as fitted would be appreciated also.
Thanks

RDS
accelerator pedal.jpg

Hello all

can anyone please verify if the pedal (pic attached) is as per the original, which had the hand throttle cable attached, or if it has been butchered, missing part or just wrong.

I would like to reinstate the hand throttle so all lose up pics of anyone's hand throttle assembly (both at the pull and the pedal) as fitted would be appreciated also.
Thanks

RDSView attachment 427008
The 'hand-throttle' is linked to the the throttle assembly under the carpet, at the same point that the cable to the carb is connected. If that hasn'tbeen butchered, then it might be able to re-establis the 'hand-throttle'. Check that point first.

The 'hand-throttle' is linked to the the throttle assembly under the carpet, at the same point that the cable to the carb is connected. If that hasn'tbeen butchered, then it might be able to re-establis the 'hand-throttle'. Check that point first.
Will do thanks. The hand throttle at the pedal end seems to be a loop of wire; is that correct?

Will do thanks. The hand throttle at the pedal end seems to be a loop of wire; is that correct?
Yes, the hand-throttle cable has a loop in it at the trottle pedal cross-shaft end---held on to the pin by a penny-washer and a slit-pin. The cable then goes up under the dash to a small bracket. The outer of the bit you pull is held onto this bracket by a special clip. Please note--this only to be used as method of holding up the revs for a quicker warm-up---NEVER as a 'cruise-control'

Yes, the hand-throttle cable has a loop in it at the trottle pedal cross-shaft end---held on to the pin by a penny-washer and a slit-pin. The cable then goes up under the dash to a small bracket. The outer of the bit you pull is held onto this bracket by a special clip. Please note--this only to be used as method of holding up the revs for a quicker warm-up---NEVER as a 'cruise-control'
From what I read in your replies, do I surmise that the carpet has to come out again and/or the seat will hinder access, to re-fit the hand throttle to the pedal?

Good point re non-cruise control, however it would not have crossed my mind to do so: cruise has always struck me as odd in a manual transmission car.

From what I read in your replies, do I surmise that the carpet has to come out again and/or the seat will hinder access, to re-fit the hand throttle to the pedal?

Good point re non-cruise control, however it would not have crossed my mind to do so: cruise has always struck me as odd in a manual transmission car.
If you take the drivers seat out, you may just be able to remove the front section of the central 'tunnel', which will give you access to the pin that you secure the hand-throttle-cable loop to. It IS a fiddly job and it is easier if you have somewhere to do it which will allow you to fully open the doors of the car. If your seats move freely and are easy to remove/refit, take both out.

Reactions: RDS
If you take the drivers seat out, you may just be able to remove the front section of the central 'tunnel', which will give you access to the pin that you secure the hand-throttle-cable loop to. It IS a fiddly job and it is easier if you have somewhere to do it which will allow you to fully open the doors of the car. If your seats move freely and are easy to remove/refit, take both out.
Thanks, I had a feeling the job would only be possible if the seat and carpet were out. Given the grief I have just had getting the new carpet and re-upholstered seats in, and the cramped working conditions of the garage, this aspect may not progress.

Is there a hatch in the tunnel then? is it on the top or side of the tunnel?

Any detailed diagrams or photographs would be appreciated from anhyone.

Thanks, I had a feeling the job would only be possible if the seat and carpet were out. Given the grief I have just had getting the new carpet and re-upholstered seats in, and the cramped working conditions of the garage, this aspect may not progress.

Is there a hatch in the tunnel then? is it on the top or side of the tunnel?

Any detailed diagrams or photographs would be appreciated from anhyone.
There is no 'hatch' on the front section of the central 'tunnel'. You have to lift it completely up---it is the part that the ductings for the windscreen are attached to.

There is no 'hatch' on the front section of the central 'tunnel'. You have to lift it completely up---it is the part that the ductings for the windscreen are attached to.
so the Y ductings and the top of the tunnel lift up off the sides? Held down by spring effect of the sides?

so the Y ductings and the top of the tunnel lift up off the sides? Held down by spring effect of the sides?
The complete front section of the central tunnel (top and sides--1 unit) lifts away---ot is held down, and in place, by (if I remember correctly) 2 screws on each side of the section and 1 screw into the main section of the central tunnel.

The complete front section of the central tunnel (top and sides--1 unit) lifts away---ot is held down, and in place, by (if I remember correctly) 2 screws on each side of the section and 1 screw into the main section of the central tunnel.
Righto thanks - I will have a peek.

Righto - had a look tonight, seems impossible with a tight fitting carpet and new seats installed! So , the next time i have access....

I was in conversation with the very nice people at Ricambi Fiat 500 ricambifiat500.com who put the attached document together in 5 minutes for me showing some good detail. I hope it is of use to others. They sell the throttle cable etc.

Attachments

• Fiat 500 Hand throttle info.pdf
    777.1 KB · Views: 83
Back