General Halfords- Fiat car paint kit colours

Currently reading:
General Halfords- Fiat car paint kit colours

silver stephen

Hi, A lovely little girl of about 4 years old decided to engrave her monica on my Stilo( Scilla red, five scrathes about 7 inches long luckily not very deep) I told the mother and she says no problem she will pay for the damage, when I informed her that it would cost hundreds of pounds to put right she said she would have a word with her daughter and tell her not to do it again. Any way I've been on the Halfords website and been looking at there Fiat car paint kit colours at £9.99 inc vat.Can anyone recommend this product or advise on any other product.

I've used Hellfrauds spray paint a couple of times and although it's just about ok for small jobs, I found it to be pretty poor for part spraying panels. I got some spray paint from a local A1 Motorstores and got near profesional results with them but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Tell the woman that her telling her daughter isn't good enough and that you want a proper job doing or else it'll probably haunt you in the future... (Buy cheap, buy twice springs to mind!)

I work in Halfords but I won't be biased here ;)

If you can pick up the paint ready mixed off the shelf in either spray form or in the scratch repair kits (better than the spray) then that's fine. If they have to mix it up for you then be weary, I personally take a lot of time and pride in any paint I mix up and if I go even .1 over any of the amounts I start again because a small amount can make a big difference, some may not be this fussy and you may not get the results you expected.

Summary: If you can buy it in the repair kit then they're pretty good! Obviously the ultimate repair would be a professional one :)

the halfrauds 'we'll mix it for you' paints are :yuck: just have a look at the side of my car and you'll know why.

the ready mixed stuff though isnt half bad, although i would recommend the colour pens from fiat.

oh, and i work for halfords (y)

Must get awful confusing with you two working in the same store when someone shouts OZZZZZZZZ and you both go to who's calling ..many hands make light work though I suppose :D

Hi, just thought I'd say "don't despair" - it is possible to touch-in scratches with a brush, building up the paint in several layers over a few days, and then put in some time wet-sanding with 1500-grit sandpaper followed by 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound - you'll be surprised at the results that are possible, though it does require great care with the sandpaper (especially if using a sanding block on a curved surface). Of course this applies to stone chips etc. as well, so although the terrible tike caused the most damage, at least you will be able to use what you buy for ongoing maintenance.

For what it's worth, I bought the two-pen Halford kit for my Uno (FIAT Bianco 210) and it was not satisfactory - too dark. If you can get the touch-up paint from FIAT instead, I think you should (y)

-Alex

Last edited:
Good advice Alex. You can achieve excellent results using touch up and ultra fine wet and dry/compound. If the metal underneath is slightly dented however, you will never erase the damage. If that is the case, it's time for the paint shop.

Alot depends on the colour of course. If your paintwork is not mettalic (like mine) then its alot easier to repair. Metallics use a clear laquer over a base coat and are a nightmare to try to patch up/blend.

Alot depends on the colour of course. If your paintwork is not mettalic (like mine) then its alot easier to repair. Metallics use a clear laquer over a base coat and are a nightmare to try to patch up/blend.

Thanks LoBsTeR - and thanks for pointing that out, I didn't mention the metallic aspect. However, all is not lost (see bottom...)

The main problem is that with a brush touch-up it's impossible to get the metallic particles to coincide with those that were sprayed - so the touched-in paint usually looks darker for light colours - but sometimes lighter for dark colours...

I don't bother trying to put a clearcoat over the basecoat when touching up scratches - I find it's better to build up the level with basecoat and then give it a quick shine with compound. The result is durable enough - trying to add a clearcoat over the whole job is probably going to give contamination (dust) or flaking issues, or highlight stonechips, and you may as well sand/repaint completely.

It's unlikely that adding a clearcoat will disguise a metallic-matching problem. Repainting the whole panel will solve the problem provided the paint is matched well (mixed to original recipe). If going onto an existing respray, there might be problems. If you're using a proper spraygun, you can 'fade out' a non-matching metallic into the middle of a panel - the metallic can be applied very thin and dusty because the clearcoat will later smooth over it. The result will be less noticeable than having a hard mis-match at panel edges, but it takes practice to avoid a 'halo' effect around the wetter basecoat near the fade-out. Fast thinners and not over-applying anywhere helps. My best success was where I managed to avoid repainting a whole roof by doing a fade-out, from a rear quarter repair, part way up the C-pillar - not an easy place since it's 'on view' and in the light. But it can be done!

(In summary - LoBsTeR, you are right, metallics can be a lot of work to patch properly ;))

---

In contrast, I've attached a photo of my Stilo's left mirror as I got it, I touched it up quickly a few months ago, and the other photos are taken just a couple of minutes ago. Lighting conditions are not the same, but I think the scratches are less noticable (I had to be careful with the angles to highlight them). Dark metallic purple must be the very worst colour to work with :)

If I'd spent a bit longer (over several days) to properly fill-in the scratches with touch-up paint (they were quite deep, fingernail-snagging) then it would look better, but in the meantime I'm happy enough. My feeling is that it took about fifteen minutes to get this result, versus probably four hours split over two days to remove/prepare/repaint/re-clear the mirror shell - and that can still be done later if there is further damage while in my care ;)

In general, touch-ups are less noticeable on any part of the car below the level of the bonnet/door handles (the 'eye-line'), and also less noticeable on light colours.

And before doing anything else... the thing to do first is to get a really good cutting compound, such as the 3M Perfect-It III, and patiently polish away at the 'scratch' for a few minutes - in many happy cases, the 'scratch' turns out to be merely paint transfer from another object... and most of it disappears :)

-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_4984.JPG
    IMG_4984.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5903.JPG
    IMG_5903.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5911.JPG
    IMG_5911.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Give her daughter a telling off? public hanging more like! if she is vandalising cars at 4 wont take long for her to be a full blown TWOCer! I would be livid if this had happened to me!

Alex, was that a wall you came into contact with?

Good job anyway. You could hardly notice. I guess you can get carried away and keep building it up though. Not worth the effort if you can hardly see it.

My Stilo (Pitti blue) was immaculate until I started parking it in the staff car park at work. Didn't take long for people to add about a half a dozen 'door opening' dents to my paintwork.

Makes me sick.

Back