H G 'sniffer test'..on a diesel ?

Currently reading:
H G 'sniffer test'..on a diesel ?

Minor update..

The car has now had both coolers replaced.. oil temp is no longer elevated

But..
Its still pressurising the ( oil infested ) coolant and throwing it out past the cap :(

So.. head gasket..or internal failure..

With 110k+ miles on it..

Choosing between HG Investigation.. or low miles breakers motor..

Tough call :eek:

Minor update..

The car has now had both coolers replaced.. oil temp is no longer elevated

But..
Its still pressurising the ( oil infested ) coolant and throwing it out past the cap :(

So.. head gasket..or internal failure..

With 110k+ miles on it..

Choosing between HG Investigation.. or low miles breakers motor..

Tough call :eek:
High Charlie ,

It is a tough one.

If the loan of an engine crane for free helps, that is available to you from me.

You would have to collect and return crane though , I know I am very mean ha ha ha.

Hydraulic type crane , fits in normal hatch back no problem.

Cheers Jack

I've come to this thread late so sorry if this has already been mentioned. I understand the problem here is oil in the coolant? I have experience of the old VE and PD 1.9 tdi VAG engines having had several versions of SEAT and Skoda with these engines. We also had a 1.6 CR Fabia but I never liked it and got as little involved (just servicing really) as I could. The older engines though had an oil cooler built in between the oil filter housing and the engine block. It used the coolant to regulate oil temperature and was well known for failing between the oil and coolant sides. If you've got one of these engines with oil showing in the coolant this component has to be first port of call!

Sorry folks, I didn't see the last post before I submitted this one. Advice still stands though in general. Blown head gasket much more unusual.

Last edited:
Well.. an update..but not a conclusion

Ok - so after the initial works failed to stop the expulsion of coolant

3 rad caps..
( steel seal.. :( )
Oil cooler

The Head was then removed.. no signs of failure.. no improvement after gasket replacement

Cost so far £2.5k

Still losing coolant

EGR Cooler now the suspect.. however its another big job..@5 hours I believe

I have suggested just bypassing it water flow.. but owner isnt keen..

This has now been a constant since June.. so @20k miles
Apparently loses water in fits and starts

Again.. car still worth £10k +

So will change the cooler at some point

Glad my diesels are slightly easier to work on.. any £500 jobs would write them off.

Back