100_2126.JPG

Panda (Classic) Grumbleweed

Introduction

been stubbornly refusing to stir outside the panda section for a long while but put a fair bit of time into tidying the old lad up this summer so thought I'd stick some photos together to show the state of play just now.
So for those of you who aren't al ready au fait, this is Grumbleweed, a 1990 Panda Sergio Tacchini with a mix of scrapyard warrior mods and fresh bits:

look! even found some scenery to take some pics:)

Highlights include the new mk2 golf splitter and chavtastic blue lensed driving lamps (they were reduced OK) in the front bumper, Momo steering wheel, aftermarket gearknob on shortened gearstick, 40mm drop on new standard shocks, mystery retro pepperpot wheels (anybody any idea? came off a Tipo in a scrappy) converted to Uno electronic dizzy, K&N panel filter in standard airbox with shortened intake, Powerflow stainless exhaust rear section with Y10 standard front section, array of extra instrumentation (tacho, oil pressure and volts) and assorted other bits and bobs dotted around that my father in law (the previous owner) fitted and I just find out about when new stuff I buy mysteriously doesn't fit:confused:
Andrew.
Any way this could be controlled from the cabin by a switch...? :devil:

Nice to meet you, by the way... -- not to mention your keen young detailer...! Hope nothing of importance leaked on the way home.... ;)
Likewise, just a shame you were Pandaless. Leaks? that's just how he rolls. Do a long run, fill up with fuel, engine oil, gearbox oil, coolant.....

Last edited:
Heading down to Crofts 'nostalgia day' today, thought it would be a good excuse to roll Grumbleweed off the drive for a bit of a run out. Reversed him back and spotted the 'drip' tray I put under the gearbox:

.....rolled him back down, took the Pug.:(
Really need to get the good gearbox back on.

2 weeks. It doesn't look like a simple fix either. Not a single leak, just seems to be oozing gently from everywhere on the gearbox, seam at the bellhousing, speedo cable, inner cv boot bearings & flanges. Think because the box has been lying unused for over a decade anywhere there's supposed to be a seal has just dried out & deteriorated. The old Y10 box is all cleaned up & painted now, just need to get my backside into gear & get it back in. Remarkably the only bit that seemed to be showing wear when it came out was the clutch release bearing. Otherwise it seems pretty tight.

2 weeks. It doesn't look like a simple fix either. Not a single leak, just seems to be oozing gently from everywhere on the gearbox, seam at the bellhousing, speedo cable, inner cv boot bearings & flanges. Think because the box has been lying unused for over a decade anywhere there's supposed to be a seal has just dried out & deteriorated. The old Y10 box is all cleaned up & painted now, just need to get my backside into gear & get it back in. Remarkably the only bit that seemed to be showing wear when it came out was the clutch release bearing. Otherwise it seems pretty tight.

We'd better arrange a new meet up before my rims assault any more of GW components, will you drop the the whole engine & box to make life easier or just the box?

Just the box. All done, mega mileage box back in situ with a fresh coat of black paint and the new clutch I put in with the stupid crunchy leaky box and wow! No crunchy, no leaky (so far), no noisy. I should never have taken it out. (well, cluch release bearing was rumbling but should have put it back in anyway))
Looking at the box that came out it looks like the majority of the leakage was the gasket round the middle so to cure it the box has to open right up:(
Changed the troublesome top radiator hose for new too so hopefully that's the coolant leak sorted too.

OK, much shouting & threatening later (honestly, how hard can it be to get the 3 bolts off & on again on the O/S driveshaft inner gaitor!!!) & some bodgery with the speedo drive (rebuilding the oil seal with silicon) it's looking like no more leaks! Finally!
Might even go somewhere in the old fella tomorrow to celebrate.

You know when you go under the car to investigate that knock that's been there all winter... Well, I'd figured out that an exhaust rubber had given up the ghost so bought one last week and finally got round to grovelling under Grumbleweed today to sort it out and realised actually two rubbers had let go, leaving my exhaust supported by just the outer one at the rear.

...and the fuel tank:eek:

..Fortunately got to it before it melted right through but that could have been interesting. Exhaust's supported back off it now but I think it's twisted round at the centre joint a bit so I'll have to take it apart again at some point and straighten it all up.

You know when you go under the car to investigate that knock that's been there all winter... Well, I'd figured out that an exhaust rubber had given up the ghost so bought one last week and finally got round to grovelling under Grumbleweed today to sort it out and realised actually two rubbers had let go, leaving my exhaust supported by just the outer one at the rear.

...and the fuel tank:eek:

..Fortunately got to it before it melted right through but that could have been interesting. Exhaust's supported back off it now but I think it's twisted round at the centre joint a bit so I'll have to take it apart again at some point and straighten it all up.

Christ. I know its a spark rather than heat that ignites petrol but still

Yeah, remember him being on when he first got that pile of NOS parts. Dodgy though? take it you weren't impressed. I thought at the time he just got a really hard time because he didn't entirely know what was what with the parts he had.

Last edited:
Back