100_2126.JPG

Panda (Classic) Grumbleweed

Introduction

been stubbornly refusing to stir outside the panda section for a long while but put a fair bit of time into tidying the old lad up this summer so thought I'd stick some photos together to show the state of play just now.
So for those of you who aren't al ready au fait, this is Grumbleweed, a 1990 Panda Sergio Tacchini with a mix of scrapyard warrior mods and fresh bits:

look! even found some scenery to take some pics:)

Highlights include the new mk2 golf splitter and chavtastic blue lensed driving lamps (they were reduced OK) in the front bumper, Momo steering wheel, aftermarket gearknob on shortened gearstick, 40mm drop on new standard shocks, mystery retro pepperpot wheels (anybody any idea? came off a Tipo in a scrappy) converted to Uno electronic dizzy, K&N panel filter in standard airbox with shortened intake, Powerflow stainless exhaust rear section with Y10 standard front section, array of extra instrumentation (tacho, oil pressure and volts) and assorted other bits and bobs dotted around that my father in law (the previous owner) fitted and I just find out about when new stuff I buy mysteriously doesn't fit:confused:
Andrew.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ha HAAAA! nothing quite beats the feeling of scraping back the underseal on the crossmember where I know it's been cracked up for a while and I can see rust flaking through and finding....Metal!:woot:
Quite pleased.
So that's healthy, horn's fixed, all the lights work (after a judicious kick to the n/s rear) MOT on Monday.
And my kitchen is now full of cassette decks, wires etc. No firm decision yet as another candidate has entered the fray;) Just got to figure out how to fit it all in and wire it together.

Nope. Nothing that showed up on the ramp anyway, although he's feeling a bit vague on the road at the minute, feels like there's some movement on the steering/ suspension somewhere but I can't figure out where and nothing seemed loose on test. annoying.

Steering rack perhaps. I always thought that they were past their best by 75000. Mines the same vague ish at speed despite virtually everything being new

so looking through the eper i notice there is 2 bushes in the steering column on a panda, both have same part number (part no. 5980725) - could these be worn perhaps?
Nope, changed those last year trying to cure play in the column. fine before, definitely fine now. Feels like when I changed the tie rods and the nuts at the front end worked themselves loose so the wheels would move backwards and forwards as you went on and off throttle and brakes, but I've checked there and those nuts are tight. Wanders when you go on or off the throttle again so I'm thinking it's something in that area but all appears tight. Balljoints maybe, been messing with hub carriers recently.

Last edited:
Nope, changed those last year trying to cure play in the column. fine before, definitely fine now. Feels like when I changed the tie rods and the nuts at the front end worked themselves loose so the wheels would move backwards and forwards as you went on and off throttle and brakes, but I've checked there and those nuts are tight. Wanders when you go on or off the throttle again so I'm thinking it's something in that area but all appears tight. Balljoints maybe, been messing with hub carriers recently.

Damn that sounds familiar :eek: what about the bolts where the tie rod attaches to the track control arm. Mine was wondering really badly on sudden throttle inputs till i realised that about a half a mm gap had opened between the nut that secures the tie rod to track control arm and nipped it up. Still vague but better :rolleyes:

Damn that sounds familiar :eek: what about the bolts where the tie rod attaches to the track control arm. Mine was wondering really badly on sudden throttle inputs till i realised that about a half a mm gap had opened between the nut that secures the tie rod to track control arm and nipped it up. Still vague but better :rolleyes:
Ah, I'll just have to work my way through again. Got a fine tradition of pulling the front end apart the last few days before a show you know. I'll get it a bit more driveable for Stanford Hall on the 7th.
Probably.
Or that's going to be a long drive:(

Back