100_2126.JPG

Panda (Classic) Grumbleweed

Introduction

been stubbornly refusing to stir outside the panda section for a long while but put a fair bit of time into tidying the old lad up this summer so thought I'd stick some photos together to show the state of play just now.
So for those of you who aren't al ready au fait, this is Grumbleweed, a 1990 Panda Sergio Tacchini with a mix of scrapyard warrior mods and fresh bits:

look! even found some scenery to take some pics:)

Highlights include the new mk2 golf splitter and chavtastic blue lensed driving lamps (they were reduced OK) in the front bumper, Momo steering wheel, aftermarket gearknob on shortened gearstick, 40mm drop on new standard shocks, mystery retro pepperpot wheels (anybody any idea? came off a Tipo in a scrappy) converted to Uno electronic dizzy, K&N panel filter in standard airbox with shortened intake, Powerflow stainless exhaust rear section with Y10 standard front section, array of extra instrumentation (tacho, oil pressure and volts) and assorted other bits and bobs dotted around that my father in law (the previous owner) fitted and I just find out about when new stuff I buy mysteriously doesn't fit:confused:
Andrew.
been stubbornly refusing to stir outside the panda section for a long while but put a fair bit of time into tidying the old lad up this summer so thought I'd stick some photos together to show the state of play just now.
So for those of you who aren't al ready au fait, this is Grumbleweed, a 1990 Panda Sergio Tacchini with a mix of scrapyard warrior mods and fresh bits:

look! even found some scenery to take some pics:)

Highlights include the new mk2 golf splitter and chavtastic blue lensed driving lamps (they were reduced OK) in the front bumper, Momo steering wheel, aftermarket gearknob on shortened gearstick, 40mm drop on new standard shocks, mystery retro pepperpot wheels (anybody any idea? came off a Tipo in a scrappy) converted to Uno electronic dizzy, K&N panel filter in standard airbox with shortened intake, Powerflow stainless exhaust rear section with Y10 standard front section, array of extra instrumentation (tacho, oil pressure and volts) and assorted other bits and bobs dotted around that my father in law (the previous owner) fitted and I just find out about when new stuff I buy mysteriously doesn't fit:confused:
Andrew.

The alloys I believe are Fiat Tipo ones (which would make sense as you got them from a tipo) I remember my dad going to view one in kilwinning with those exact alloys, I was only 8 but I remembered the alloys especially, and I was gutted when my dad didnt buy it :( but as for what model/edition of tipo, Im really not sure. They do look alfa-ish though, "telephone dial" alloys are their kind of thing :) they look great whatever they are!

Since Panday, not too much actually. Took the hub carrier back off the N/S and opened up the top hole a bit more. Refitted and still way different to the O/S, slackened the nuts on the O/S hubcarrier and let off some of the negative camber I had on and that was enough to even it up, now very slight negative both sides and it's even. Straightened up the tracking & the steering wheel and it's all good to go again. Pattern hub carriers I think, compared a few and they're all just very slightly different on the hole drillings related to the front face so I think I've got one on the O/S which naturally sits with negative which I've adjusted out, and one on the N/S which sits naturally positive where the adjustment I put on just brings it back in line. Anyway, bit of jiggling and it's near enough now(y)

OK, Scotland show tomorrow so I thought I'd resume my battle with my Uno turbo alloys which were on for last years show and then off again for my third attempt to get up the road in the morning having spent the previous night refitting my new sump after all the oil fell out when I jacked up the nearside to fit them:mad:
So the curse seems to have continued this year. Got them out the shed yesterday and discovered one was dead flat, so father in law offered to take it away overnight and take the tyre off the rim, clean and reseat it and balance it up at the garage he hangs out at. Got him to take a second rim to balance so at least the front pair would be balanced bang on(y) Then I dropped one on its face putting it in his car, badly bashing up the (already iffy) paintwork:mad:
So they duly came back all balanced this morning and we got them fitted(y) Went to reverse off the drive and after about a foot there's this big clatter from the front end. Balancing weights had fouled the caliper and it had stripped the lot off:mad: Stuck them back on in roughly the same place but out clear of the caliper and tried again. Not quite as dramatic but I could hear the other side catching as well so that one came back off and same again:mad: Then finally got him out for a run and I could still hear something rubbing. Turns out the handbrake cable was rubbing the edge of the N/S rear rim. So that tied back out the way and I THINK he's finally ready to roll in the morning.
Really want these rims to work as between the slightly higher offset and getting rid of those horrible Uniroyal tyres the handling has settled down no end. I'll see how he goes tomorrow.
Anyone else doing Scotland tomorrow?

Don't know about patience (although with all the niggles I still didn't throw anything into a hedge & break it;)), but deadlines yes. That's why Grumbleweed never looks any good at shows, there's always something I did in a hurry the day before and it's not really finished yet. Pushed for time this time because I've spent the last 2 days on the other cars. Oil change on the Pug and Skoda and I've been brave and swapped off the winter tyres on both too! Poor old grumbles was feeling the poor relation so this afternoon was all polishing. Wash, polish, resin wax, and extra gloss protector. Doesn't disguise the annoying cracking paintwork on the bonnet though:(

Well, never did follow that last bit up so here's Grumbleweed at the Cupar show 2 weeks ago with new shoes on.

Back to reality now and the MOT is due this month so as you do my thoughts have had to turn to... this stereo doesn't look very period:chin: so spent today building an elaborate MP3 docking station in my living room:D

Aaah yeah! wife loves it, adds a certain sophistication to the room:cool: Question is, does Grumbleweed go all cassettey or what? still undecided.

Back