Technical grinding noise

Currently reading:
Technical grinding noise

steven000

hi guys need a bit of technical help. during the ice weather my 53 punto started making a strange grinding/droaning noise from the front right wheel occasionaly when i braked. now becoming alot more frequent and noisier. wondering if anyone could help!
cheers

off the top of my head cant quite remember the measurments but have only done 12k in 3 yrs! even after releasing the brake pedal the noise continues for a few seconds until i gather speed again!
thanks

The brakes and wheel bearing need to be checked out. It is probably just a sticking pad or a grain of gravel lodged behind the disc.

If in any doubt change the pads and if grooved change the discs as well they are only about £25 a pair. Garage labour would only be about 1 hour so not a costly job.

If the wheel bearing is suspect make sure you get the correct ABS or non ABS type.

Very odd, my car developed a very faint screeching/grinding noise too shortly after the very cold weather but only in the left wheel and it isn't always there...hmm....:confused:

If you use the car only occasionally, there can be a build up of corrosion on the disc face that will be noisy when being rubbed off during the first few applications of the brake each time its driven.

Is 12K in three years enough justification to own a car?

Cheers

D

Sounds like the brake pads are worn down to me.
The discs will have had rust on them in this weather, and that won't have helped.

Low miles = rusty discs and jammed brake pads. Get the brakes properly serviced.

Also get the engine and cooling system serviced. If its not been done due to the low miles it will be well overdue. Time does more harm to cars than miles.

Got to admit that at just 4000 per year the OP would be better off cycling and renting a car when transport's needed.

took off the wheel today and it was the breakpads that were worn, so replaced them on both front wheels. but since replacing them the handbrake warning light has stayed on. had to drain some brake fluid obviously while changing the pads then topped it back up. not sure why handbrake light is staying on tho!
cheers

Hi mate,

Also check the level of your brake fluid again. It may of dropped down as the pads have bedded in, this will cause the "handbrake" light to come on.

Hope that helps,
Alan

cheers mate thats what i was thinking it was to do with because i hadnt gone near the back brakes

Is it the handbrake light or has the brake pad wear indicator been shorted out or is it low fluid level in the reservoir (too much taken out).

Also check the rear brakes. At such low mileage per annum they may be seized up or even leaking.

Back