General Grande punto -Rattle from the engine at first start

Currently reading:
General Grande punto -Rattle from the engine at first start

winnermax76

Greeting . I am new to the forum and a couple of days ago I bought a grande punto 1.4 , 8v ,57 kv and I have a problem that, i did not notice when shopping , because the owner hid that flaw. . During the first ignition, a knock is heard from the engine, which stops and decreases when accelerating and raising the speed. After a short ride, the engine runs quietly without any knocking and at 800 rpm. When the engine is turned off and started, nothing is heard. I did a small service, replaced the oil and filters and the problem still exists. Has anyone had problems like this.

This is typical problem for Renault petrol engines K4M for example used in Megane2. It looks like camshaft variator issue. Each morning (or when car stops for few hours) oil goes away from variator's advance chambers, through oil passages and through VVT solenoid valve down, the sustem is wothout oil pressure during 1st cold start. And because camshaft is pressed by valve springs up, it makes this rattling noise till oil gets through VVT solenoid to advance chambers of camshaft variator.
This was general for Megane2 engines, now I have 7 year Fluence (with almost the same engine) and no problem here.
Solution - variator replacement. But 1st checking VVT solenoid health - if it's clicking when you put 12V on it + check cam angles via MES diagnostics during acceleration (wjen you reach 4000 rpm, variator should be fully opened (O dont know what is it's maximum of degrees for full open state)

The 8v FIRE engines are pretty simple by current standards and have been around for a while now. Good that you have replaced the oil, how many miles have you done since and which oil did you use?

How many miles on your car? Can you capture the sound (record a video on your phone and post on youtube and post us a link?)

Rado77 - I thought variators were only fitted to the 16v engines?

Last edited:
No no, 1.4 8V (350A1000) Euro5 has it. Because of Euro5 emission limits. Fotunately mine is ok, shiny like brand new. And quiet of course :)

Last edited:
if you change the vvt camshaft sprocket(Renault call it a variator)

You need the special locking tools used for a cam belt change. Do not attempt to replace part without special tools.

I suggest changing the cam belt, belt tensioner and water pump At the same time.

Do check the exhaust to make sure it's not that or a loose heat shield knocking/rattling.

You could also check under the exhaust manifold heat shield for broken studs and leaky gasket. A slight leak makes that sound when cold and during acceleration.

Last edited:
Greeting . I am new to the forum and a couple of days ago I bought a grande punto 1.4 , 8v ,57 kv and I have a problem that, i did not notice when shopping , because the owner hid that flaw. . During the first ignition, a knock is heard from the engine, which stops and decreases when accelerating and raising the speed. After a short ride, the engine runs quietly without any knocking and at 800 rpm. When the engine is turned off and started, nothing is heard. I did a small service, replaced the oil and filters and the problem still exists. Has anyone had problems like this.

Hi :)

What year is this Grande ?

Charlie

Exactly. The best will be recorded sound
ere is the sound of the 2009 grande. since I do not want to remove the link, due to the number of posts, just type this title into youtube and it will take you to the link. Otherwise the sound is heard when the car starts very loudly and then it is heard less and less. Some have recommended that I look around the muffler and gasket. Name of the video on youtube: a strange sound under the hood

ere is the sound of the 2009 grande. since I do not want to remove the link, due to the number of posts, just type this title into youtube and it will take you to the link. Otherwise the sound is heard when the car starts very loudly and then it is heard less and less. Some have recommended that I look around the muffler and gasket. Name of the video on youtube: a strange sound under the hood
Could be an exhaust leak from exhaust manifold gasket or crack in exhaust manifold , you can't see much with the aluminium heat shield in place.

Could be vvt/variator/dephaser camshaft sprocket , rado may know what a faulty one sounds like.

Last edited:
Faulty locking pin ring in variator sounds like plastic quick "trrrrrrrrrr", lasting 2 or 3 seconds directly after start. Something like this: https://youtu.be/21o6PcGFH7w , but in interior its more like plastic sound

This sound begins to be heard a few seconds after starting the engine and lasts for about one minute.

Back