Technical Grande punto intermitant horn problem

Currently reading:
Technical Grande punto intermitant horn problem

malcolm111

Hi there wondering if anyone can help me I have a grande punto 2006 1.3diesel
The problem is the horn won't work when the steering wheel at 12oclock position it works at 3oclock 6oclock and 9oclock I have put a new steering wheel on and that didn't fix the problem, anyone have any ideas what is causing the malfunction :cry:

Hi there wondering if anyone can help me I have a grande punto 2006 1.3diesel
The problem is the horn won't work when the steering wheel at 12oclock position it works at 3oclock 6oclock and 9oclock I have put a new steering wheel on and that didn't fix the problem, anyone have any ideas what is causing the malfunction :cry:

Wear in the 'slipring' is something I experienced.. ( pre.airbag fiat)

Turned the wheel upside down.. so the 'dead spot' was at the bottom.

I would do that wiith the old wheel.. trying to see if the problem area moves.

Try moving the columns rake adjuster too.

The wiring is tightly packed around the column

Charlie

Wear in the 'slipring' is something I experienced.. ( pre.airbag fiat)

Turned the wheel upside down.. so the 'dead spot' was at the bottom.

I would do that wiith the old wheel.. trying to see if the problem area moves.

Try moving the columns rake adjuster too.

The wiring is tightly packed around the column

Charlie

Thanks I will try the rake first and then positioning the wheel 180 degrees and let you know.

any news..?:confused:

No not yet had visitors and they just gone so will be at it tomorrow, I did notice when I got the wheel off there is a sprung plastic ring which I guess is the horn, and I can rotate that so that I will try first if the wiring is long enough

The steering wheel will only fit the one way as there are 3 large gaps where there are no groves on the column and they different widths anyway I took the plastic ring that activates the horn and dropped it so I thought to heck with it put it all back together as I guessed it went, tried the horn and it works, but I got a plastic cog leftover where it came from heavens knows but it works.

I have just one last question to get this car back on the road and that is to change the starter motor can I do it from under the car or is it best to take the battery box off

As Charlie said, be carefull when reconnecting it: Don't forget the little plastic insulation sleeve between the starter command and the positive lug !!

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• starter connection.jpeg
    starter connection.jpeg
    736.5 KB · Views: 21
Back