General GPS Front Brake pads

Currently reading:
General GPS Front Brake pads

Hi Everyone, I went to get some front brake pads for my GPS yesterday, I went to a car parts place,they put my reg into their computer and then brought ourt some pads at £31.99, I got them, then went to get them fitted,they were completely different to the ones on my car, the guy rang up his supplier gave him the reg etc, they delivered some pads ( £30 )within 30 mins, exactly the same as the ones I bought, therefore wrong, I had to go to Fiat dealership to get them and guess what , £68.61 and thats with a discount,alledgedly they should have been £68.60 plus VAT, How can this be. On the upside the ones that came off had about 3mm to go and they had been on for 52500 miles, again Fiat ripping off its customers and giving the wrong info to aftermarket suppliers on which pads are on particular cars.

probably nothign to do wiht this thread but i thought i would put it in here anyway. when i brake i get a sharp squeaking noise out of my front pads, i have tried washing them to remove dust form the pads but to no avail do you think i need to gte some new pads?

...Fiat ripping off its customers and giving the wrong info to aftermarket suppliers on which pads are on particular cars.

It's hardly Fiat's fault if the aftermarket companies are disorganised when it comes to their brake pad catalogue. :confused:

Even if Fiat withheld the data, there's plenty of easier ways for them to find it out (for a start, Fiat don't make the pads themselves....). There's only two different specs of pad for the GP anyway- 1.9/1.4 Sportings have the larger, and the others, 1.2/1.4 8v/1.3, have the smaller spec.

(y)

The actual size and shape of the pads were identical to mine,it was the metal part that holds them in place that was different thats all,mine had a smaller metal bit( the two end bits that slot into the holders).

patent pads are **** id never use em! they wear down to quick! fiat design pads to fiat EACH car where as most patent pads will fit multiple cars and manufacturors!

sorry son ya own fault for trying to save money. 52K on a set of pads and ur moaning bout £60! blimey son people can wear pads down in 10k. I have a ford (ok i work for fiat) but i have gone through my second set of pads and now discs in 22k but my fault for buying **** patent pads!

Every time i go to get bits for my Grande in motor factors etc they try to sell me ordinary Punto parts. Halfords are a good one for it, "sorry we dont keep parts for that vehicle sir" :bang:. Parts Direct (used to be Cafco) are pretty good here in Reading, got most of my service stuff in stock (y). Things like brake pads/shoes id rather get from the dealer and get my moneys worth out of them. 2 or 3 sets of after market pads Vs 1 set genuine = no contest

Last edited:
I have a ford (ok i work for fiat) but i have gone through my second set of pads and now discs in 22k but my fault for buying **** patent pads!

Ford suffer badly (have done for at least 7 years now) from cheap imported pattern parts from the far east (despite being in original Ford packing) no doubt Fiat & everyone else suffer the same way.

I never actually managed to buy brake shoes for my Mk I GT Turbo from Halfords etc. because they always supplied the wrong part. Genuine Fiat parts were £50 in the first half of the 2000's so the Fiat price quoted doesn't surprise me. Just think of the technology that has gone into those....

i have a 1.3 m jet and its had 3 sets of pads and 2 sets of discs under warrenty, and now it needs pads agen :( but, i refuse to pay 68 quid from my dealer :D found some pads tho :p for 30 quid and they are actually the right ones :p just need time to fit them now :p

Does anyone know if the pads come with sensors? I've got a 1.2 8v GP and just took it for a service. I told the dealer I want the all the old parts so I can have a look.
Found that out of 4 pads, only one had a wire hanging from it. I suppose its for the sensor. Now out of the 4 pads removed, only 1 was severely finished(not the one with the wire.) Aren't all the pads supposed to wear equally, at least each couple are suppose to wear equally.

This was the second time i've changed the pads and i've also noted that the discs are now grooved.

Do you think I should go back to the dealer and ask what's really going on?

Does anyone know if the pads come with sensors? I've got a 1.2 8v GP and just took it for a service. I told the dealer I want the all the old parts so I can have a look.
Found that out of 4 pads, only one had a wire hanging from it. I suppose its for the sensor. Now out of the 4 pads removed, only 1 was severely finished(not the one with the wire.) Aren't all the pads supposed to wear equally, at least each couple are suppose to wear equally.

This was the second time i've changed the pads and i've also noted that the discs are now grooved.

Do you think I should go back to the dealer and ask what's really going on?

it would be a good idea, i just swapped mine and all worn perfectly all be it worn out in about 24000miles and i only paid £21.99 for mine and they are EBC pads, on another note they are the same pads that you put on a 1.6 stilo!

probably nothign to do wiht this thread but i thought i would put it in here anyway. when i brake i get a sharp squeaking noise out of my front pads, i have tried washing them to remove dust form the pads but to no avail do you think i need to gte some new pads?

sounds the same as mine, its a common problem! have a look through this thread get your fiat garage to have a look, they fit new uprated pads... mine goes in on thursday (tomorrow) hopefully to be replaced is doing my nuts in!!

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-technical/89495-recalls-known-fault-issues.html

Back