General GP servicing costs........now stop moaning!

Currently reading:
General GP servicing costs........now stop moaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got a quote for £185 now so i think i will take that. Just out of interest how can they possibly charge £99? is that a low mileage service because i have done 14k miles and need new spark plugs and i have worked out just the parts cost more than that!

From Shop4parts
3 litres of Selenia K 'Pure Energy' = £22.01
4 x NGK T-Jet Spark Plugs = £33.76
Oil Filter = £8.26
Pollen Filter = £18.05

VAT = £15.76
Shipping = £7.95
TOTAL for parts = £105.79
Quoted Labour and VAT = £117.50
GRAND TOTAL = £223.29

Any ideas how to get this price down? i'm going to supply the parts and get a local garage to fit it all!

I'm not going to get drawn in on this old argument, I understand what T says about looking at other different FIAT dealer service prices but the fact they dont offer "best price" straight away smacks of brinksmanship at best, (hoping people will just pay it) or downright profiteering, banking on people thinking they should be "loyal" to their dealer just in case they need the dealers symapthetic response to a problem at some time.

T I chose to bank my money that I could have spent on a Service Plan, so that I got the interest on MY money during that period TBH. If one dealer can do it for an acceptable price to most then the others can too, they choose NOT to. You are right, people will wise up and not go there eventually.

Damnit I got drawn in... :p Rant over.... Lovely day to service your motor on the driveway! :D

i'll just put some money aside and (as you suggested) if the price is a little steep, i'll shop around.

£2.50 a week...bargain:)

I have got a quote for £185 now so i think i will take that. Just out of interest how can they possibly charge £99? is that a low mileage service because i have done 14k miles and need new spark plugs and i have worked out just the parts cost more than that!

From Shop4parts
3 litres of Selenia K 'Pure Energy' = £22.01
4 x NGK T-Jet Spark Plugs = £33.76
Oil Filter = £8.26
Pollen Filter = £18.05

VAT = £15.76
Shipping = £7.95
TOTAL for parts = £105.79
Quoted Labour and VAT = £117.50
GRAND TOTAL = £223.29

Any ideas how to get this price down? i'm going to supply the parts and get a local garage to fit it all!

Read the thread again....its the full (not low mileage) service, how is the price so low? simple you buy in bulk using a big companies large buying power.

Tell you what if you dont believe me travel north of the border with the £125 you have saved, let me know which garage & i'll service it for you for £99 including examiner printout (as stated on service sheet) and i'll even update all the relevent software when resetting your service counter...aint washing it for you though!

p.s. pollen filter is extra

Last edited:
£2.50 a week...bargain:)

Read the thread again....its the full (not low mileage) service, how is the price so low? simple you buy in bulk using a big companies large buying power.

Tell you what if you dont believe me travel north of the border with the £125 you have saved, let me know which garage & i'll service it for you for £99 including examiner printout (as stated on service sheet) and i'll even update all the relevent software when resetting your service counter...aint washing it for you though!

p.s. pollen filter is extra

Bit far though! I'm in Portsmouth (very south of the country!) would cost me £200 in fuel! lol! Anyways my front grille has popped out again so i'll get it serviced at local place (i'll buy the bits though i want Selenia and the proper T-Jet spark plugs!) Then drop it off at the dealer and ask them to update me software while they are at it! Take the missus to look at the Pandas while we are waiting (the car not the hairy bear). Everyone is happy :) What benefits does the software updates have anyway? My car has been 100% reliable (except grille and the door locks) so not too fussed if they don't update.

Had the sporting serviced last week and the dealers pissed me off well and truly, once i have this lot of warranty work done will not be going back. Dealers is Chappel House Fiat, Ainsdale - near southport.

First things first, i asked when i picked up the car what oil they used, assuming they were going to use selina as fiat recommend, how wrong was i assuming, they used mobil!. I questioned about using selina, their response was, Fiat recommend Selina but we use mobil! Have i missed a trick here, fiat recommend selina but they use mobil, hang on a minute did i not go to a fiat dealers. They said the make does not matter so long as the grade is the same.

I asked about software updates, he said to make it go faster, what!! Why would i go in to dealers, ask for software update to make it go faster, are they having a laugh, when i explained, he said mine did not need it as it was a more up to date model! I don't think he knew what the hell he was talkin about. He had come from leaders, bootle, when it got shut down, no wonder they where so crap!!!

I also gave them a list of jobs i wanted doing under the warranty, all stuff i was not happy with:

Poorly fitted gear gaiter
Wiper arm been catching on bonnet so has a big gouge in it
Poorly fitted panel to the left of clutch

All the above parts have been order by the dealer and i'm now waiting for them to phone me. I also told them about following problems -

CD's keep jumping and get stuck - they said it was cause i am using CD-R's instead of pre-recorded cd's!

Blue & Me keeps dropping out. I could be halfway home from work and suddenly will get a message saying NO BLUETOOTH - their response was me and the mechanic can bot connect our phones :bang: Idiots - connecting is not the porblem.

Knocking noise coming from the passenger side door area, maybe the door lock - their response, might be the drop bolts, when he explained to me what the drop bolts i was like :bang::bang::bang: muppets - its coming from the passenger compartment area, sounds like the door lock. I mentioned FF and the fact that some people have had problems with rattling door locks, he changed his tune, oh yes people have had problems with knocks from that area, but it all depends on peoples tollerance, i.e. how much knocking you can put up with.

Oh yea, and i had to phone them up again to see if my car was ready.

Don't think i will be going back tbh after this lot of warranty work is done.

T- Can you give me your proffessional oppinion, has the dealer invalidated my warranty by using mobil oil instead of selina, which Fiat recommend. Do i need to contact Fiat UK to get their clarification on this?

Rant over Im off to look for tyres now :D

What's the examiner print out T? Is everyone supposed to get one of these when having their car serviced at Fiat?

Software updates - are there any available? How would i know if mine was up to date or not?

Thanks (y)

My first service with them was £99! So you should definately get change from 100 notes.

If i remember when im there on monday i'll as what the 1 year service costs for you. :)

Just booked mine in at TJ Vickers for its first service....

Not too chuffed with the quote.... 200 bloomin smackers!

It seems there's not just disaparity between the dealers, but between punters as well!!!! Only done 8.5k miles so far too...

Should have bought a T Jet instead....*ponders this thought*... Nah...I wouldn't have 170bhp at my disposal if I had...;)

You guys have no idea at the length/cost/time that the garages & Fiat are working together at present.....then again everyones a expert aint they;)

What!!! Explain please.

If the dealer did what we asked of them and not acted like we were dumb then we would have no reason to complain. And we did not say we were experts, we are just exchaning facts on what we know based upon our experiences so far. I have used two dealers in the past 6 months and the service has not been great from either, trust me i'm the customer, and you know what say about customers.

I too love my fiat, hence the reason i own one, but the service you receive from the dealers is a bit of a let down. The dealers are obviously the experts, but why treat us like we don't know what we are talking about, like in my case, ask them about a knocking noise around the passenger door (possibly door lock or something alike) area and the guy starts talking about drop link bolts, which he said are ok on mine btw, they aren't knocking, and the dealer used mobil oil instead of selenia.

Whats that all about then?

I am still waiting to hear from the dealers about some parts they have ordered for my car, they told me it would be mid-week, probably about wednesday, phone's switched on still waiting!!

Rant over....

Now then back to my original question T which remains unanswered, still.

What is the score with my warranty if the dealer has used mobil oil and not selenia like fiat recommend?

If they have invalidated my warranty will i need to contact Fiat UK to dispute the matter?

On the invoice it says "carry out 18000 mile service to manufacturer's specification" surely they have not done this as the manufacturer recommends selenia don't they? Not mobil

Thanks again

What!!! Explain please.

which bit/part?

If the dealer did what we asked of them and not acted like we were dumb then we would have no reason to complain. And we did not say we were experts, we are just exchaning facts on what we know based upon our experiences so far. I have used two dealers in the past 6 months and the service has not been great from either, trust me i'm the customer, and you know what say about customers. Like in my case, ask them about a knocking noise around the passenger door (possibly door lock or something alike) area and the guy starts talking about drop link bolts, which he said are ok on mine btw,

Dealerships cant just change parts because a customer (or forum) says so...what if the part didnt cure the fault are you going to pay for it...no but the garage has to foot the bill. There are specific routines to be carried out first.

Now then back to my original question T which remains unanswered, still.

Dunno, i'm stupid apparently:confused:

which bit/part?

"You guys have no idea at the length/cost/time that the garages & Fiat are working together at present"

This bit above

Dealerships cant just change parts because a customer (or forum) says so...what if the part didnt cure the fault are you going to pay for it...no but the garage has to foot the bill. There are specific routines to be carried out first.

I have not asked any dealers to change parts which are not broken, i have asked them to diagnose faults, which has not been done properly imo.

When i asked about ECU software updates the guy said (and these are his words, honest) "what, to increase the performance of the car" what's that all about then? Why would i ask the dealer for a performance upgrade, and when i said No it's just to update the ECU as software updates are released from time to time, he said "oh, i see, no yours will be up to date"

[/quote] Dunno, i'm stupid apparently:confused:[/quote]

Funny!! Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I'll find the phone No for fiat uk and speak to them about this

Last edited:
"You guys have no idea at the length/cost/time that the garages & Fiat are working together at present"

This bit above

As in both Fiat & dealerships are working very hard to improve the publics perspective of authorised Fiat dealerships.

When i asked about ECU software updates the guy said (and these are his words, honest) "what, to increase the performance of the car" what's that all about then? Why would i ask the dealer for a performance upgrade, and when i said No it's just to update the ECU as software updates are released from time to time, he said "oh, i see, no yours will be up to date"

some updates will increase performance, although it sounds like he ment remaps etc

[/quote] Dunno, i'm stupid apparently:confused:[/quote]

Funny!! Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I'll find the phone No for fiat uk and speak to them about this[/QUOTE]

Its not sarcasm, you slate dealerships/technicians yet happily ask advice from them or people who work alongside/from/at dealerships & expect a answer:confused:

As in both Fiat & dealerships are working very hard to improve the publics perspective of authorised Fiat dealerships.

some updates will increase performance, although it sounds like he ment remaps etc
Dunno, i'm stupid apparently:confused:[/quote]

Funny!! Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I'll find the phone No for fiat uk and speak to them about this[/quote]

Its not sarcasm, you slate dealerships/technicians yet happily ask advice from them or people who work alongside/from/at dealerships & expect a answer:confused:[/quote]

Fair enough T but at the end of the day if the dealers were listen to us properly and kept in touch with us then we would not need to come and moan!

I contacted Fiat UK this morning to ask the question about my warranty! They cleared up the matter for me, so now i can actually say that i have received good customer service from Fiat, and i would not hesitate to contact them in the future should i have a problem :D

Rant over now....

I also have to contact my dealer about the recent safety recall now too.

Last edited:
Your happy....thats all that matters:)

r.e. examiner printout, it says on service sheet 'check engine management system' or words to that effect theefore to prove it has been done a printout is proof. Customers are all too often suspicious that not everything has been carried out during a service so things like this help put their mind at rest. Another benefit is that it could spot a potential/unknown fault, & also looks good with service record.

Your happy....thats all that matters:)

r.e. examiner printout, it says on service sheet 'check engine management system' or words to that effect theefore to prove it has been done a printout is proof. Customers are all too often suspicious that not everything has been carried out during a service so things like this help put their mind at rest. Another benefit is that it could spot a potential/unknown fault, & also looks good with service record.

Hmm interesting! Does the engine management get checked every service? With regards to the print out, are all dealers supposed to print this off?

Cheers T

36k is 2 year which is brake fluid change,filters,plugs etc...thats for £149+jaffa cakes:D

I have the 1st service booked for next week, only 4,200 miles on, so for the 2nd major service were it will have 10k max, will it still get a full service?

cause i have fully paid up front my 1st 2 services with arnold clark for £250, 1st and 2nd year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back