General glow plug relay

Currently reading:
General glow plug relay

ghostrider13

hi everyone ive got a 1.9 jtd and she's a bit slow turning over/slow starting and ive got the glow plug light flashing for a short while after its started ive been told its the glow plug relay, could some one point me in the general direction of where it is as the garage didn't seem interested in doing it it had a new battery when I got it as the original wasn't up to holding a charge. thanks for any help

I'm not familiar with the Multipla, but the normal place for Fiat to fit the glow plug relay is on the bulkhead behind the engine. An example of what to look for is shown in the picture below. However, the warning light flashing for a short time after startup is possibly a faulty glow plug.

Attachments

• Glow Plug Control Unit.jpg
    Glow Plug Control Unit.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 45
The 1.9 is a high compression engine and unless it gets extremely cold doesn't need glowplugs to start. Slow turning in winter is not unusual and generally the flashing coil light tends to mean that one or more of your glow plugs need replacing. Of course it is not impossible for it to be the relay but not normal with this particular car.

Glowplugs can be a bit of a pain to change but certainly doable by the home mechanic with the right tool. Do a search through my old posts and you wil find I did one on this very task.

hi everyone ive got a 1.9 jtd and she's a bit slow turning over/slow starting and ive got the glow plug light flashing for a short while after its started ive been told its the glow plug relay, could some one point me in the general direction of where it is as the garage didn't seem interested in doing it it had a new battery when I got it as the original wasn't up to holding a charge. thanks for any help

Read the excellent GUIDE in the stilo section.
Shows how to test the basics without the hassle/risk of removing the glowplugs

FYI.. my marea JTD has started perfectly for the 2 years of ownership..but flashes for 30 seconds after starting all year round.

Your SLOW CRANKING could be unrelated..

Charlie . Oxford

What's the CCA rating on your battery?? (Cold cranking Amps)... as others have said the jtd engine doesn't really benefit from glowplugs.. either battery or starter or perished cables between.
Marty

My JTD 115 has had the flashing glow plug light since I bought it but even after being left for over a week in the freezing weather a few weeks back it started OK, albeit with a slow crank.

Mind you, in that weather I generally started with a slow crank most mornings !

Last edited:
Now on JTD #5 and all of them have had the glowplug light come on even after starting a warm engine. A slow crank isn't unusual on really cold starts.
I wouldn't worry about the light too much as long as your battery and starter are in good order.
George

Back