Technical giardinera thermostat

Currently reading:
Technical giardinera thermostat

renault

my giardi has had the thermostat removed and I am wondering if this is a common Italian mod made to these cars for some reason ( I bought the car from Italy)

I have now obtained a replacement thermostat but cannot find any pictures to show how to install it.
Anyone help please?
In fact, has anyone here got a giardinera?

414 views and no replies. C'mon guys surely someone has a giardi and can assist here.

I only just caught your post, missed it entirely somehow.

To the first question, my own answer is that the thermostat serves to optimize cabin heating and that the engine is pretty indifferent to its presence or absence.

As to installation, that's fairly self-evident if only the bellows are concerned, one end if fixed to a stirrup that goes in the casing top adjustment slot, the other end goes on the flap operating arm through the slot at bottom of the casing.

self evident Giardini you say.
well I must be missing something.
I can see how the one end attaches to the flap but cannot see how the other end (of the stat that is) is secured within the inspection chamber. All I have in my car is the void in which it sits - and no method of how to fix it. The previous owner obviously just removed the whole assembly.

I have looked at all the pictures I can find but cannot see a clear picture.
(I guess you are the only other person on this forum with a giardi ? ;)

regards
geoff

Ok Renault, I can't find a picture of it anywhere online so I'll try to paint one for you ;)

The top of the thermostat housing has a slot, with a sort of rail running alongside it on the inside.
The stirup (what you seem to be missing) is a U-shaped piece of metal just wide enough to slide in the rail. The two upright sides of the U fit over the end of the "stat" and are drilled so that a short pivot can be installed, going through both sides and the hole in the end of the stat.
The base of the stirup is drilled and tapped (M6 ?) so that a bolt can be inserted in the slot from the outside & screwed into the stirup base, thereby locking its position along the rail. This allows adjustment of the "closed" position.

If that's not clear enough, tell me right away, I'll take mine apart & take pictures tomorrow IN THE DAYLIGHT ;)(y)

Last edited:
Here you go Geoff.

Attachments

• Giardi 001.JPG
    Giardi 001.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
thats right giadarni - thanks so much for your help.
yes it is the part you describe which I am missing.
I need to find out what it is called and try to find one

(by the way - is it only you and I on here with Giardis?)

You may end up having to make it/have it made, I've never seen that part in a catalog.
Don't know what to call it, but found that "stirrup" takes 2 rs :rolleyes:

No, I haven't heard much about Giardis or other variants on this forum.

Regards
JP

hi giardini - and any others who are watching this thread).
I found the part in my parts book :
page SGR13, Item 25, "staffa di Sostegno" part number 4055161
so the hunt begins !

thanks for that - I already have the thermostat - it is the connecting part I need.
However I did not know of this supplier so thanks very much for that link.
cheers
geoff

Back