Technical Get yer cambelts replaced

Currently reading:
Technical Get yer cambelts replaced

circolo

Finally got round to getting the cambelt replaced as a final thing before the car gets used regularly.

The car had done 58k. And on it's 2nd cambelt I believe. (Car is 1999 year).

Had the belt and tensiors, etc changed on Friday. Mechanic showed me the old belt, which was actually in good shape. But the tensioner was knackered, barely able to move around.

This is on a Bravo 100HLX (1.6).

I'm sure it's been said a billion times before on here. But I reckon you should be looking at changing the belts and tensioners every 30k, rather than the 60k recommended by Fiat.

Finally got round to getting the cambelt replaced as a final thing before the car gets used regularly.

The car had done 58k. And on it's 2nd cambelt I believe. (Car is 1999 year).

Had the belt and tensiors, etc changed on Friday. Mechanic showed me the old belt, which was actually in good shape. But the tensioner was knackered, barely able to move around.

This is on a Bravo 100HLX (1.6).

I'm sure it's been said a billion times before on here. But I reckon you should be looking at changing the belts and tensioners every 30k, rather than the 60k recommended by Fiat.
that's bit weird as I replaced my timing belts last week and the belt was completely knackered after 33.000 miles and the tensioner was ok-ish :confused:

Especially on the 1.6 would also recommend replacing after 30.000 mils

Just goes to show, every 30k is the best avenue.

Otherwise, it's bent valves, and £££'s

the original FIAT literature will say @72K, but after a LOT of initial failures it was revised to HALF that = @36K, :eek:
still peace of mind = insurance,
the pulley may well be suffering from being stood..!!:idea:

Charlie

Im pretty sure I didn't get my the belt and tensioner changed on my old Bravo (1.2) until it was on 85K:eek: Apart from the belt being very brittle, expected after that many miles and 10 years! All was fine! I wouldn't recommend it though.

Back