General General Panda thoughts

Currently reading:
General General Panda thoughts

I love the manual gear change especially in my 4x4. Even though the handbook says normal driving can use 2nd gear to pull off, I still use 1st and change at 3mph (4000rpm) because its fun! :p
Never driven a selecta and would love to have a go! :)
The 750 gear box is similar really. Makes hill starts easy but you only get up to about 5mph by the time you've hit 4000rpm. I often find myself pulling away in 2nd.

I'm not just being a ****:
Driving to work this morning. That looks like a fat Panda?
Ah, a 500L. :yuck:

Yeah first time I saw one coming towards me I thought "what the heck have they done to the mk4 Panda now?".

Only I didn't think "heck" :rolleyes:

Only seen 1 mk4 panda and 1 500L in the leafy suburbs of York so far, hardly a sales success for either round here :(

Yep, see lots of Up!'s and Picanto's around here, Grande Punto seems to be the most popular Fiat along with the 500.

I think it's taken a while for the supply of rhd Panda's to come through, and the 4x4's are on 10-12 week builds at present. They are a bit pricey but ok with 14% discounts :)

It's quite interesting that there are significantly more Panda's appearing round here in the last month or so. The 500's are knee deep in places (if you ever saw that Top Gear episode where the streets were lined with 500's try somewhere like Beaconsfield - that's what it looks like!!) and seem to be selling by the bucket load still - based on the last few weeks I'd say the Panda is starting to sell well round here too (y)

Last edited:
The breaker we know and love in Kent is now adding this boast to his eBay sales.

I WILL THEN LIST THE PART AS A "BUY NOW" FOR YOU TO PURCHASE!
I HAVE RECENTLY BROKEN A 1988 F,REG PANDA 1.0 SUPER, A 1995 ROSSO RED 1.0 CLXi ,AND A WHITE 1994 PANDA 750L,SO THE CHANCES ARE IVE PROBABLY GOT THE PART YOUR PANDA NEEDS!!!

He now has a low mileage 1000 as well...

The breaker we know and love in Kent is now adding this boast to his eBay sales.

I WILL THEN LIST THE PART AS A "BUY NOW" FOR YOU TO PURCHASE!
I HAVE RECENTLY BROKEN A 1988 F,REG PANDA 1.0 SUPER, A 1995 ROSSO RED 1.0 CLXi ,AND A WHITE 1994 PANDA 750L,SO THE CHANCES ARE IVE PROBABLY GOT THE PART YOUR PANDA NEEDS!!!

He now has a low mileage 1000 as well...

(n):(

I wonder where he is in Kent. Perhaps I could show him a good example of a Panda and he'll stop relentlessly breaking good ones.
Or maybe not... :mad:

(n):(

I wonder where he is in Kent. Perhaps I could show him a good example of a Panda and he'll stop relentlessly breaking good ones.
Or maybe not... :mad:

Considering most of his customer base will be us lot, I don't think he will carry on for long, can't be that much demand for Panda bits can there?

I just don't know why you would break perfectly good cars that would be worth £600-£700, I can't see anyone making that much back on the bits:confused:

Well I hope he does get stuck with a pile of parts..although I guess he will just weigh the metal in.

I will not be buying any parts from him no matter how much I would want something.

I can't understand why he would break them up.:mad: If he had sense, he would repair them, MOT them and sell on instead of putting all that effort in to get less ££. I know some people may think that the parts will go to waste, I'd rather that than give him my money. (n)

Never Say No To Panda, always loved those ads :D

As promised a few thoughts on the last two legs of the trip, I drove the Selecta from York to VmanC's workshop in deepest Hampshire, about 250 miles without incident.

The next phase was to take 'chiaro' (not sure if I got that right) from the workshop to Palio's a trip of nearly 2 hours. It's 20 years since I've driven a Panda with a choke so I was a little dubious I had the right technique. After a couple of stalls I hit the road running, mainly as I'm not used to the brakes on these older cars, the pedal travels little before becoming rock hard whilst the slowing of the car gave me a 'am I slowing down here or what'. They do work but in a gentle way, they will never throw you towards the windscreen or cause the inertia reel seat belts to tighten. A slight alteration in driving style - well remembering to brake sooner kept me out of trouble.
The car drove really well, 'perky' is probably the best description of the car, the ride whilst typical panda had a really direct and positive feel to it, the car turned in quickly and willingly. I think I described it to Gavin as 'very pointy', I only tried to put it into the nonexistant fifth gear three times too. :)
Now the car had a cd player/radio, but the radio bit didn't work, I ended up listening to a dodgy soft rock of the 80's giveaway cd that I suspect neither Gavin or Vernon will admit to owning :p
Despite the ICE there was no cig lighter so the sat nav was relying on the charge up it received on the way down. It hasn't been updated for a while so it was a challenge to guess which exit of the unmapped roundabout system I needed to take, luckily I ended up going the right way on the M4! As the miles ticked by and I retraced my way across the country roads and dual carriageway the power indicator got lower and lower, traffic got a little heavier as I was again village hopping. Thankfully whilst flashing on the very last red bar I set eyes onto a very pink little car telling me I had reached Gavins.
This is the first time I've clapped eyes on Pinky and my first reaction was too laugh out loud - man that is one pink car!
After a bit of a chin wag it was time to get on the road again, pinky has a cig lighter which didn't work and no radio, luckily I remembered enough about wiring the lighter to get it going.
My choke skills deserted me and I managed to fill Gavins hall with noxious fumes and set off his smoke alarm! Leaving Gavin coughing I set off for home. I drove for about forty minutes before realising Pinky had a fifth gear (aftermarket gear knob so no markings) and we were cruising the M1 Northwards. I found Pinky gripped well (four matching tyres on a Panda :eek:) and again was eager to go and suffered none of the vibrations I'd encountered at speed in the Selecta. We fair romped home travelling up to but within the limits of the road. Pinky's braking characteristics are similar to Chario's but I was used to it now so felt very confident.
Once I hit the familar roads of home I could really appreciate Pinky's road holding and handling, the 3 hour 'Italian tune up' made him more willing than ever and in no time the journey was over.

So approximately 500 miles, 13 hours all told and 3 Panda's driven. (y)

Would I do it again? - you bet :D

Here's the drive the next morning:

2013-06-01_11_43_20.jpg
[/url]
2013-06-01_11_43_20.jpg

As promised a few thoughts on the last two legs of the trip, I drove the Selecta from York to VmanC's workshop in deepest Hampshire, about 250 miles without incident.

The next phase was to take 'chiaro' (not sure if I got that right) from the workshop to Palio's a trip of nearly 2 hours. It's 20 years since I've driven a Panda with a choke so I was a little dubious I had the right technique. After a couple of stalls I hit the road running, mainly as I'm not used to the brakes on these older cars, the pedal travels little before becoming rock hard whilst the slowing of the car gave me a 'am I slowing down here or what'. They do work but in a gentle way, they will never throw you towards the windscreen or cause the inertia reel seat belts to tighten. A slight alteration in driving style - well remembering to brake sooner kept me out of trouble.
The car drove really well, 'perky' is probably the best description of the car, the ride whilst typical panda had a really direct and positive feel to it, the car turned in quickly and willingly. I think I described it to Gavin as 'very pointy', I only tried to put it into the nonexistant fifth gear three times too. :)
Now the car had a cd player/radio, but the radio bit didn't work, I ended up listening to a dodgy soft rock of the 80's giveaway cd that I suspect neither Gavin or Vernon will admit to owning :p
Despite the ICE there was no cig lighter so the sat nav was relying on the charge up it received on the way down. It hasn't been updated for a while so it was a challenge to guess which exit of the unmapped roundabout system I needed to take, luckily I ended up going the right way on the M4! As the miles ticked by and I retraced my way across the country roads and dual carriageway the power indicator got lower and lower, traffic got a little heavier as I was again village hopping. Thankfully whilst flashing on the very last red bar I set eyes onto a very pink little car telling me I had reached Gavins.
This is the first time I've clapped eyes on Pinky and my first reaction was too laugh out loud - man that is one pink car!
After a bit of a chin wag it was time to get on the road again, pinky has a cig lighter which didn't work and no radio, luckily I remembered enough about wiring the lighter to get it going.
My choke skills deserted me and I managed to fill Gavins hall with noxious fumes and set off his smoke alarm! Leaving Gavin coughing I set off for home. I drove for about forty minutes before realising Pinky had a fifth gear (aftermarket gear knob so no markings) and we were cruising the M1 Northwards. I found Pinky gripped well (four matching tyres on a Panda :eek:) and again was eager to go and suffered none of the vibrations I'd encountered at speed in the Selecta. We fair romped home travelling up to but within the limits of the road. Pinky's braking characteristics are similar to Chario's but I was used to it now so felt very confident.
Once I hit the familar roads of home I could really appreciate Pinky's road holding and handling, the 3 hour 'Italian tune up' made him more willing than ever and in no time the journey was over.

So approximately 500 miles, 13 hours all told and 3 Panda's driven. (y)

Would I do it again? - you bet :D

Here's the drive the next morning:

2013-06-01_11_43_20.jpg
[/url]
2013-06-01_11_43_20.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the Panda's John - nice write up (y)

I can enlighten you on the CD - it's not mine, BUT, it replaced some very similar ones (though there were also some proper rock cd's too). I played some of it today & it's great - don't know what you're talking about!! How can driving a Panda flat out yelling along to the Quo, Boston, Meat Loaf, The Jam, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Spin Doctors & Europe, not be in the top 3 things to do???!! :D

Glad you enjoyed the Panda's John - nice write up (y)

I can enlighten you on the CD - it's not mine, BUT, it replaced some very similar ones (though there were also some proper rock cd's too). I played some of it today & it's great - don't know what you're talking about!! How can driving a Panda flat out yelling along to the Quo, Boston, Meat Loaf, The Jam, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Spin Doctors & Europe, not be in the top 3 things to do???!! :D

I'm was more into 80's Pop than Rock :rolleyes:

I don't think the speakers were doing it any favours, the riff from 'final countdown' sounded like it was done on a casio keyboard from Rumbelows :p

Back