General gearbox repair?

Currently reading:
General gearbox repair?

bredsticz

I like to be different!
Trying to decide what to do with my gearbox. It feels really nice and smooth but always pops out of 2nd gear. It is engaging properly via the linkage so definately the box at fault.
How easy would it be to dismantle and repair the box myself?
or anywhere in the manchester area do it cheap enough rather than replace the box for another 2nd hand one?

That sounds like fun. im sure google translate would come in handy.
I presumed reconditioners in yellow pages would end up costing alot more than a replacement box though

Sure -- but not more expensive than a replacement new box!

If after a replacement (s/h) 5 speed, try and get a Cinq or Sei Sporting box. Just a hunch, but I recon they were built on a different (probably Polish) production line. Certainly they seem to suffer fewer issues than the Punto (Italian built?) boxes.

why not strip the box down yourself and replace the bearings
no tools other than a socket set and some circlip pliers are required
wait till you see the selector forks:D covered in plastic:D

I wansn't sure what it would be. I just know its fully engaged on the box via the linkage.
Will stay in gear if I hold it there. I don't mind pulling it apart myself to fix, its just knowing what's gone, I'm unfamiliar with the internals of a box.

I wouldn't bother trying to repair it yourself. Punto boxes are quite easy to take apart, but unless it's bearings you are changing it's not worth the hassle. Any decent recon gearbox firm should be able to supply ata reasonable price and should fit it free or very cheap.

Back