Technical Gearbox Oil

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Oil

also no one will make a better oil than the people who makes the gearbox mate :)

Ming
Fiat won't make the gearbox themselves, it'll be made by a third party gearbox manufacturer and have the Fiat stamp on the casing alongside the company that actually made it. And Fiat have their own lubricants company (Fiat Lubricants) which is where all the recommended lubricants in the handbook come from.

I still wouldn't be using supermarket oil though, or do we actually mean Morris Lubricants who are a very well known and good English oil company?

Ben

Morrisons' oils are supplied by Texaco under the Havoline brand. They are not substandard but are cheaper than other brands due to bulk buying and a sensible pricing policy.
Fiat approved lubricants come from Italy through a number of wholesalers and are finally sold by Fiat dealers who are not really known for having a sharp pricing policy.
Don't listen to me, however, you just keep paying over the odds for lubricants that are nothing special.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Selenia, Tutela and Paraflu (i.e all of the approved lubricants available from Fiat, Lancia and Alfa dealers) are brands of Fiat Lubricants. It's therefore pretty obvious why they're the approved lubricants for Fiat, Lancia and Alfa vehicles. So where you get the information that they come from a variety of wholesalers before finally being sold by Fiat dealers I don't know. http://www.flselenia.co.uk/content/view/16/21/

As regards Morrisons oil being supplid by Texaco under the Havoline brand, if it's got the Havoline logo on the tin, fair enough. If it hasn't and that's just a rumor, it won't be the same oil in a different tin. Comma is a sub-brand of Mobil and Quantum is a sub-brand of Castrol (sold through the VAG network), but they're not the same oils. They have slightly different compositions, different additive packages, and different builder approvals.

So by all means continue using cheaper oils thinking you are using the same quality lubricants as the branded counterparts, but the reality is you're not. With engine oil you definitely get what you pay for. Is it really worth skimping a few quid on such an important aspect of your engine?

Also, if supermarket oils are so good, why aren't they being used by any manufacturers for factory fill?

Ben

Honestly, that is the first time i have heard Selenia oil being unknown...

What i said, was based on ourely from experiences and many cento owners will also approve that the fire gearbox used on the cento reacts very well with it and obtaining good results.

And hope you stick to supermarket oil too :). Try Tesco value mate, proper known.

guess the credit crunch must be bad :)

Thanks
Ming

OK, I intended to keep quiet but can't help myself.
The Havoline oil brand has been around since 1904 and their lubricants have a long history of use in motorsport.
Their engine oils are sold in Havoline packaging at Morrisons' petrol stations.
These oils match all the requirements for engine oil in the Panda handbook.
There don't seem to be any Havoline gear oils marketed in the UK, probably because the market is too small to justify their import.
Now, as regards pricing of oils. Engine oils are not very expensive and car dealers buy in bulk at a fraction of the price we pay for 1L or 5L containers of oil.
When I say that Selenia or Tutela oils come through a number of wholesalers, I mean that they do not arrive at your Fiat dealer direct from the oil manufacturer and that somebody takes a big profit at each step in the supply line. In addition, they are imported from a country that is in the Eurozone with its very poor rate of exchange relative to the pound.
Now, Havoline oils come from the USA with its better exchange rate to the pound. The supply line to Morrisons' Texaco fuel stations is probably very direct and as a savvy supermarket, Morrisons' pricing will be excellent.
Finally, all oil is priced in dollars. A lot of oil is produced in the USA so the basic product that Texaco convert into engine oil will be much cheaper to them than to an Italian manufacturer (no oil wells in Italy) who works in Euros.
Sorry to be boring. I recently carried out an oil change on my daughter's 1.1 Active using Havoline 10W-40 semi-synth costing £13.69 for 5L and she could not believe how well the little car performed after this.
I don't consider that I'm being cheap or mean, just using my money wisely after thoroughly researching the options available to me.
Chris

so "As regards Morrisons oil being supplid by Texaco under the Havoline brand, if it's got the Havoline logo on the tin, fair enough. "?

Does the gear box oil say Havline on it ?

when did we start talking about engine oil? I never recommend going back to fiat for engine oil. As I don't intent to use fiat or super market engine oil either and would not recommend doing so.

For engine i use moblie Super S 10w/40, around £17 for 5L in halfords with a trade card.

As for your selenia oil information, link from the research you done please? Especially on the followin information, would be good to know:

"When I say that Selenia or Tutela oils come through a number of wholesalers, I mean that they do not arrive at your Fiat dealer direct from the oil manufacturer and that somebody takes a big profit at each step in the supply line. In addition, they are imported from a country that is in the Eurozone with its very poor rate of exchange relative to the pound."

Just to get back on topic "Gear box oil".

Thanks
Ming

Last edited:
Just to get back on topic "Gear box oil".

Thanks
Ming

And the location of those drain and filler plugs and the pics we still want ..well I do any road..

Oil !! I'll use the selenia thank you very much..:)

If u wanted any suitable oil, could of went into halfords and got some for ya with trade discount ;).

Ming

Except for 1 thing Ming.

Halfrauds don't do the gearbox oil for the modern 1.1 Panda.

I know this as I looked in Halfruads after work yesterday and for cars like the 1.2 and 1.3 it saya to refer to Owners Manual, so :p

Except for 1 thing Ming.

Halfrauds don't do the gearbox oil for the modern 1.1 Panda.

I know this as I looked in Halfruads after work yesterday and for cars like the 1.2 and 1.3 it saya to refer to Owners Manual, so :p
The only gear oil that I can find that exactly matches the Fiat specification is TUTELA ZC 75 SYNTH. However, the Castrol website does suggest that Syntrax Universal can be used.
I haven't looked in Morrisons yet, he, he.:)

The only gear oil that I can find that exactly matches the Fiat specification is TUTELA ZC 75 SYNTH. However, the Castrol website does suggest that Syntrax Universal can be used.
I haven't looked in Morrisons yet, he, he.:)

Syntrax is the oil I have used for my Panda and can't say I've got any problems with it!! Gears are nice and smooth:) I would definitely recommend it.(y)

Back