General Gearbox oil capacity

Currently reading:
General Gearbox oil capacity

Hi guys, 2 questions about gearbox oil.

Just wana know if anyone knows what the gearbox oil capacity is on a mk2 8v? I have been told its 1.7 litres can anyone confirm as i know your not ment to overfill it. Also im unsure on how you fill it, in daves guide it says fill it on the side but i cant see how that can work but i have also been told you can fill it through a vent on top of the box which sits behind the battery tray. Thanks for any help.

Just wana know if anyone knows what the gearbox oil capacity is on a mk2 8v? I have been told its 1.7 litres can anyone confirm as i know your not ment to overfill it. Also im unsure on how you fill it, in daves guide it says fill it on the side but i cant see how that can work but i have also been told you can fill it through a vent on top of the box which sits behind the battery tray. Thanks for any help.

Capacity is 1.65 litres of Tutela Car Technyx oil, remove plug/bung from front side of gearbox (about halfway down) fill up until oil spills out. Job Done !!

fill up where? on the top bit behind the battery tray or where it comes out when full enough? thanks

Last edited:

Why can't you over fill it?

Capacity is 1.65 litres of Tutela Car Technyx oil, remove plug/bung from front side of gearbox (about halfway down) fill up until oil spills out. Job Done !!

As said above, fill up until it starts pooring out(y)

Why can't you over fill it?

As said above, fill up until it starts pooring out(y)

yes correct fill up untill it comes out of the plug on the front in the picture bellow with the same sise fastener as the engine sump plug
attachment.php

problem is people keep thinking you pull off the plastic plug on the top and fill it thou there this is just a breather to allow for expansion as the gearbox gets warm

if you were to fill a gearbox to the brim the only thing that would get damaged is your wallet as the extra drag would gobble up all your fuel

to much oil wont break a manual gearbox in any way

Last edited:
yes correct fill up untill it comes out of the plug on the front in the picture bellow with the same sise fastener as the engine sump plug
attachment.php

problem is people keep thinking you pull off the plastic plug on the top and fill it thou there this is just a breather to allow for expansion as the gearbox gets warm

if you were to fill a gearbox to the brim the only thing that would get damaged is your wallet as the extra drag would gobble up all your fuel

to much oil wont break a manual gearbox in any way

I like the way you made sure you said manual gearbox, hehe, lol.

Also, where did you get the pic from?

Last edited:
o.k thanks, just curious but why cant you fill it at the top as i know people who have done this and its fine. surely if it can be filled that way its easier than filling it sideways.

I like the way you made sure you said manual gearbox, hehe, lol.

Also, where did you get the pic from?

because i'm a mechanic i have to cover my back on a daily basis

pic comes from fiat power trains web site originaly i put the notes on them and made the guide

Fiat Powertrain Technologies - Home

o.k thanks, just curious but why cant you fill it at the top as i know people who have done this and its fine. surely if it can be filled that way its easier than filling it sideways.

because unless you have emptied it and carefully measured out new oil you don't know how much you have put in and as i earlier stated your fuel economy will plumit if it's overfull it will act like the water does in a rowing machine effectively giving the car a workout on top of moving itself you and all you luggage around

the hole point of having the filler were it is is because when it starts to pour out that hole it has exactly the right amount in it

believe it or not it is quite critical how much oil you put in a manual gearbox for it to work efficiently and maintain a nice gear shift and also not waste energy

also if you pull of the plastic dust cover over the breather you will more than likely break it and it will fall off in the future meaning a great deal of dust will make it's way into your gearbox

you have to get under the car to empty itfrom the back

so wile your down there how much harder can it be to fill it aswell

all you need is a small funnel and a pipe

or in some cases the oil container comes with a small spout on the end that you can twist thou 90 degrees

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to drain the oil and fill it up with fresh stuff, get rid of all the sedement and crap, or not? Is there a drain plug to do this? Should I use sealant when I replace it?

[rant] Gotta say Dave's guide on this is utter crap. Along with the guide on checking your coils. It's down right confusing unless you've done it before, specifically the part on checking the negative rail on the coil plug, it states you plug the bulb into the +ve battery post then ground it, and this will test the -ve coil terminal! What!? [/rant]

Last edited:
Back