Technical Gearbox Noise...

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Noise...

Crofty79

Hello All :D,

Please bear with me on this I want to pass on as much info as possable.

My wife has a Punto '04 1.2 8v Active, we had the clutch replace a year ago by Mr Clutch Crawley (never again!)

Recently it has developed a noise while on tick over and driving in 1st and 2nd. I thought it was a trust bearing as when you depress the clutch it almost goes. I have been told it is an output shaft bearing.

My wife has also experienced clutch slip from what SHE has described, but I have not been able to get it to slip?

I have a few questions...
  1. Does it sound like thrust, input shaft or output shaft bearing?
  2. Can you remove the gearbox from the car with the engine in situ?
  3. Anyone in the Gatwick area avalible for adivce if I do attempt to fix?
I have been quoted by a garage £600+ to remove gearbox and replace output shaft bearing I don't have that sort of money laying around! But does that sound expensive?
I also found out the car is only worth £900 i could buy another one (well almost).

I have found a guide to do the input shaft bearing which covers most of the work and printed it off I be having a look to see if I can do it.

I have done work on cars before so not a complete novice but never removed and engine gearbox, just driveshafts and wheel bearings.

Thank you for getting this far and any advice would be most greatful.

Regards

Richard (y)

It could be the input bearing. It should have been checked at clutch time and is a frequent failure in these boxes. The gearbox comes out with the motor still in place. Clutches once they start to slip, don't get better. Maybe the slip was due to a foot still resting on the clutch pedal. £600 seems a lot to replace the entire clutch and input bearing and seal even for Gatwick. Ask around. I would have though £400 closer to the mark and that would include a complete new clutch.
Haven't got a Virgin sticker on the car by any chance :)
Plenty of stuff here about it to read up on. Don't delay as if the bearing collapses it can wreck the box.

Last edited:
If you do go ahead and do it yourself make sure you have someone to help you and some trolley jacks, gear boxes are heavy and it's very easy to do your self serious harm if you get it wrong, another pair of hand will never go amiss

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I may look at a recon box. I have 1 trolley jack and a set of axle stands, I will make sure someone is around if I do the job.
Oh and no Virgin sticker on it it's a 5 door black.
Thanks again all ☺

i've done punto boxes on my own
its HARD

I have 1 big jack and 2 axle stands, It ISN'T ENOUGH
You need a minimum of 2 - or some way to hold the engine up

Lifting the box out - isn't soo bad
Putting it in - after a clutch change is a PITA

I ended up putting 2x tyres under the gearbox to take 90% of the heigh lifting it up off me

ziggy

Back