Technical Gearbox dropping into neutral.

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox dropping into neutral.

stilloadarth

Hi there posted on newbie site but no replys. My stillo abarth has developed the dreaded stuck in neutral gearbox fault. Have checked selespeed fluid replaced break switch and gone over all electrical connections and plugs. There is no noise when door is opened. Is it worth removing pump and checking brushes. Also someone told me that there is a alfa pump exactly the same but much cheaper. Is this right. Does anyone now where I can send pump to get reconditioned. Any help greatly appreciated. Just want my stillo back. :(

Hi

If the pump is not priming , check the relay and the selespeed fuse
They also need a very strong battery so worth checking the voltage
The pump provides the pressure for the actuators to work thus enabling gear change
You might also want to check the voltage being received at the pump end

If all electrical issues check out fine then it may point to a pump issue
Hope this helps
Might be a good idea to do a diagnostic check
You can purchase multiscan download on your laptop and run a check

Thanks. Have had it scaned and fault comes up selespeed pump. Also noticed the other day interior light not coming on when door is opened. Could this be connected.

If the interior light works when you open the passenger door, then it could be connected to your problem.

Disconnect the large round connector between the front of the door and the "A" post, then clean both parts with electrical contact cleaner (not WD40) and reconnect.

To disconnect the connector, lift the grey clip arrowed yellow in the picture below.

Attachments

• Door Connector.jpg
    Door Connector.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 239
Thanks buddy. Got further into job today. The interior light was just a bulb. Have taken the pump out and wired it live.pump runs. Replaced pump and while car up on the ramp opened door and pump hums. Start the engine and pump hums. Still will not select any gears. Quite confused now. Where should I try next.

I'm not 100% sure about this but I seem to remember reading something similar, can't find the thread now but I'm sure it turned out to be a faulty Brake Switch. Someone then replaced it and didn't set it correctly so the car thought the Brakes were being applied all the time causing it to slip out of gear.

Might be worth double checking the Brake Switch.

I know a new brake switch has been fitted but even if the car thinks brakes are on surely it would let you select a gear to start with. You put your foor on brake to select a gear to start anyway and it wont even let me do that. Have contacted many auto electricians to try and find fault but no one wants to touch it. Really getting desperate now as costing me money on the ramp. Any one got any ideas .

Forum etiquette is to wait 24 hours before bumping your post, not 50 minutes. Not everyone sits constantly in front of their computer, especially on a Friday evening.

Shadeyman has made a suggestion to you that you seem to have discounted.

No not discounted. Trying to make sense of the situation. As stated I can understand that fault making it jump back into neutral once a gear has been selected but cant understand how that would cause you not to be able to select a gear when you apply break pedle anyway. As for understanding the way forums run I havent waited 24 hours to reply to your post. I dont expect anyone to be sat at computer screen for 24 hours a day as most of us have mobile phones. Just looking for some help with the car is all

Managed to change the brakelight switch & car seemed fine for the last 2 weeks till yesterday & it happened again.
I did notice this time that when i couldn't select 1st or reverse i also could not change into auto mode. The asr could be activated and deactivated.
It has been on the snap on diagnostic & ran every test no fault codes reported, only thing it says is "unable to select reverse gear 33 times" & "unable to select 1st gear 3 times".
PLEASE has anyone got any clue what to do next? The nearest Fiat Garage is over 3o miles away & car is just too unreliable to get there.
Thanks in advance Anthemmaster.

This was the thread I read, maybe it will be of some help to you, there are other sensors that could be the cause.
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/269298-no-gears.html

If you do decide to double check the brake switch here's a guide to help you.
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/100058-brake-light-problems-changing-switch.html

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Quite a lot for me to get on with. Will have another crack over the weekend and see how we go. Hopefully I wont have to break it like matey did. Thanks for all the help. Will let you know how it goes.

Hi maybe this might help some other people. Just found out that the alpha romeo 157gt and 146 selespeed pumps are exactly the same as the stillo abarth but are an awful lot cheaper. May help if someone actually needs a pump.

Hi guys just an update. The plot thickens. Another diagnostic check shows the pump runs with pressure reading of -4bar. Unplug the pressure sensor jumps to +14 bar. Thinking pressure sensor maybe the cheapest thing to try first rang local fiat dealer to find pressure switch is £150. You really got to love fiat. They can be quite hard work.

Interesting - glad you are on the right track with the pressure sensor replacement.

I was going to suggest an EOL calibration but clearly if it's not measuring the pressure correctly, it won't be running the pump at the right times, and won't even try to select gears.

I took apart my pump for no reason other than to inspect it, and found the brushes less than half-worn (125,000km) so they seem to last well.

Can you fit a pressure sensor from a more-readily-available scrapped Alfa 156?

-Alex

Not to sure on that. Would be intersting to find out if someone knows. Tried to get one secondhand from people breaking cars on ebay but no one seems to be bothered to look. Does anyone know of anybody who have managed to convert one of these to a manual.

Does anyone know where I can get a satnav disc as my is scratched and never worked since ive had car.thanks.

Back