Technical Gear Linkage

Currently reading:
Technical Gear Linkage

Lady KayCee

Hi there!

I have a 2014 FIAT 500 1.2 Pop. Two weeks ago, the gears were sticky, then would only go into first and second, but no neutral. So then the gear stick would only go up and down, and not even into any gear.

I took it to a service center and they told me the Gear Linkage was busted, and to leave the car there for 2 days so they could assess it properly. When returning to collect the car, my husband was handed what looked like a wire with a spanner head attached... (photos attached to this thread). He was then told there were no gears (duh... he was holding the gear linkage cable in his hand).

So, the problem is... not one FIAT dealership in South Africa keeps this in stock, because "apparently" it doesn't break?! We were told it would need to be ordered from Italy, and that would take 5 weeks at a cost of R5,500.00 (current conversion rate: €268.79 Euro / £230.97 Pound sterling / $290.26 United States Dollar).

How and where do I get this thing sooner? UBER is bankrupting me!

PLEASE Help...

Attachments

• Fiat 500 .jpg
    Fiat 500 .jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • Gear Linkage_1.jpg
    Gear Linkage_1.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Gear Linkage_2.jpg
    Gear Linkage_2.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Gear Linkage_3.jpg
    Gear Linkage_3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 31
Did they check the local parts supplier? In the Netherlands there are alternatives for sale from 3rd parties. I suggest you try to find the correct fiat partnumber and start checking sites as amazon or ebay.

I would say clearly they do break but it is rare, they are not breaking every day but there are healthy aftermarket suppliers for these sorts of things.
If you make a few million cars of one type pretty much everything that can, will break on at least one of those cars at some point or another.

I would see if you can get something quicker from an alternative supplier, as there are plenty of aftermarket replacements as already suggested. Ebay can be a good place for stuff.

Back