Technical Gear Linkage

Currently reading:
Technical Gear Linkage

Italian Job

Gear lever is floppy in sideways movement
I can select all gears no problem and drives normally
Any ideas ????

really loose and floppy but all gears are good.
Been driving like it for about 6 months no other problems

I snapped a gear cable couple of weeks ago. PITA to do. Easy enough job (technically), but as far easy access...... (Haynes manual says to split the exhaust at the flexi (think it was) - But I ignored this and struggled.

If you can select all gears, doesn't sound like the cable has snapped to me. I had no sideways movement and was stuck in second.

Does anyone have a breakdown diagram of the part under the gear lever
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• gear cable punto mk2 .png
    gear cable punto mk2 .png
    369.2 KB · Views: 128
  • gear cable punto mk2 2.png
    gear cable punto mk2 2.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 130
If anybody has an old gearbox or gear level mech laying around could you please have a look and let me know where the spring is for the sideways movement. At the gearbox end or the lever end,

Thanks

If anybody has an old gearbox or gear level mech laying around could you please have a look and let me know where the spring is for the sideways movement. At the gearbox end or the lever end,

Thanks

As far as I am aware from replacing mine, there isn't one .... its the cable itself that's allows the movement.

Here's a couple of pics, one cable has been removed, (The side to side one).

Attachments

• DSCF3638.JPG
    DSCF3638.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCF3639.JPG
    DSCF3639.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 31
Springs are inside cover on top of gear box.Find the slack by moving lever from side to side,and check for play on top of gear box where cables fit,it may just be the 13mm nut needs tightening,don't over tighten as this could make linkage stiff instead of sloppy.

Back