Technical Gear linkage has come off

Currently reading:
Technical Gear linkage has come off

I’ve cut them off as spares in the cars I’ve broken up so have three just in case. I’ve put them in a vice and unscrewed it. It came undone quite easily. Maybe mark the thread with some paint before unscrewing so you can see where to screw up to, a bit like counting threads on a track rod end.

By the way that one I glued was still gong strong when he sold the car 18 months later after getting banned for drink driving.

I’ve cut them off as spares in the cars I’ve broken up so have three just in case. I’ve put them in a vice and unscrewed it. It came undone quite easily. Maybe mark the thread with some paint before unscrewing so you can see where to screw up to, a bit like counting threads on a track rod end.

By the way that one I glued was still gong strong when he sold the car 18 months later after getting banned for drink driving.
I’ve ordered some new ones but I’ll line them up side by side with mine and check them when they arrive and check but yes good idea I’ll make them before removal just in case!

Drink driving eh ... what a complete idiot! Personally I believe if your caught drink driving you should be banned for LIFE!! Same with drug driving!!! There would be a lot of cars off the road then! ESP in Leeds that would drive pollution down!

The joint assembly is available as a single part, so it should be easy to replace with the cables remaining in place. I will try to find the part (need to search my files).
Btw, the ball joints from gas dampers/struts (from bonnet lids) should also fit, as long as ball diameter and thread are the same. An old worn damper can do a useful job that way.

Found it
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Automotive-Circuit-Thread-Shift-55245287/dp/B06W2N184G

Last edited:
The joint assembly is available as a single part, so it should be easy to replace with the cables remaining in place. I will try to find the part (need to search my files).
Btw, the ball joints from gas dampers/struts (from bonnet lids) should also fit, as long as ball diameter and thread are the same. An old worn damper can do a useful job that way.

Found it
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Automotive-Circuit-Thread-Shift-55245287/dp/B06W2N184G
Thanks for this yesterday was a bit of a mare .... and this new bush arrived just at the right time!!!!
I had all my linkage out ..fitted the new (aftermarket DOH) and it didn’t fit right!!!!!
Gears were stiff as **** the SS plastic actuator clip wouldn’t fit.. and as for the larger bush going onto side of gearbox.... IMPOSSIBLE!!

So I cleaned up my original fitted the new bush and re installed.... my gears are smooth smooth smooth!
I’m delighted but have learned another valuable lesson
Try steer clear of aftermarket.... as they don’t always work!

Try steer clear of aftermarket.... as they don’t always work!

Tell me about it, aftermarket thermostat £27 ( for our Mazda ) that turned out to be duff unknown to me( I would have worked it out eventually just didn't have the time), eventually cost £350 to fix at the dealer.
Genuine Mazda part was £65-70 for the stat.

Tell me about it, aftermarket thermostat £27 ( for our Mazda ) that turned out to be duff unknown to me( I would have worked it out eventually just didn't have the time), eventually cost £350 to fix at the dealer.
Genuine Mazda part was £65-70 for the stat.
I suppose we know now eh! My linkage was £69 I’ll try send it back but I doubt they will accept it .... the rubber was so thin parts split when fitting it .. I knew I should have gone for a genuine but 2nd hand DOH ?

You were spot on. The centre of the nylon bush had separated from the outer part. I superglued it back together, left it about 20 minutes and it was quite tough to snap back on. As long as the superglue doesn’t fail it should be ok.

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know what this part number or what it’s called is. I would like to get a couple just in case.View attachment 188097
B830BE3E-F142-415E-ADAC-E8C9ADC09DCD.png
09B1E375-3E33-4223-B2EF-5213BAA9325F.jpeg
C301AB7F-9248-49E3-9AE0-2935F1EDF96D.jpeg

You were spot on. The centre of the nylon bush had separated from the outer part. I superglued it back together, left it about 20 minutes and it was quite tough to snap back on. As long as the superglue doesn’t fail it should be ok.

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know what this part number or what it’s called is. I would like to get a couple just in case.View attachment 188097

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know what this part number or what it’s called is. I would like to get a couple just in case.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to resurrect an old forum - I’ve just had the same issue and superglued this part back on, just wondered if you remember how long the glue held out? I have a 200 mile drive ahead and hoping the glue will suffice until I can get a more stable fix? Thanks! :)

Sorry to resurrect an old forum - I’ve just had the same issue and superglued this part back on, just wondered if you remember how long the glue held out? I have a 200 mile drive ahead and hoping the glue will suffice until I can get a more stable fix? Thanks! :)
see #22 in this thread

If you’re worried about the superglue failing you can buy some internal starlock washers and tap it over the top of the green nylon bush. You need a 16mm internal. Once on squarely it won’t come off. Ours has been like it for over 4 years now.

Back