General Gear change

Currently reading:
General Gear change

xathras

Hi,

I have experienced the problem below. I've tried searching through posts on here... AmIBravared? Was closeish, but not sure so posting here. I've described my symtons below and observations:

Tonight when I got in the car to drive home from work, the car would not get into Reverse. It was a big crunch noise, the clunch felt a little stiff. After a bit of a fight and waiting a little for the car to warm up (more fight from me and car naturally warming up lol), I got the car into reverse.

Next problem, engaging 1st was a nightmare. I managed to get out from my car park space, up to the end of the business estate and had a little fun e.g. trying to change gears!

So, my plan was to call a friend, unfortunately no batman to the rescue. After the car warmed up a little more (e.g. thermostat was hovering midline. It felt a bit better, albait a bit rusty. As the drive is relatively small A / B roads. I made it home... 1st seemed a bit rough but 2nd etc was ok.

In October I had my Service and MOT, every flew though. However, I had instructed prior the mechanic to look at a possible Idle Air Valve problem, as I was having problems stalling at low speed e.g. round abouts, corners etc. The clean certainly helped and minimise but i wouldnt say was a 100% fix.

The car is a Fiat Brava 1.6 100 SX - Its W Reg
Apart from the odd annoyance its reliable and the first time I've had a problem getting into gear.

Any suggestions...

Oh, the biggest pain about the whole thing is I'm due to get a Visa through to move with my girlfriend to Chicago, this is due any day so an expensive visit to a mechanic is the last thing i want since I will be probably selling it in a week or so.

As a responsible seller, I also don't want to hide the issue and really want to fix or at least advertise that I have x problem.

Ideas or suggestions would be really appreciated :)

Thanks
Wayne

by any chance is the clutch biting point very near the floor also check brake fluid level as it might be slave cylinder on the gearbox

HI Guys/Gals, just wanted to give you an update on progress I've made.

Based on the feedback thus far, I had a look at the comments and searched the forum for similar signs and fixes.

I found an article that suggested to look at my brake fluid. Which I did, very scary to see a very minimal amount visible this morning. Thankfully I had some in the garage and topped it up. The clutch peddle went soft and the brake peddle rock solid...

As suggested I pumped the brakes for a while and the brakes became a bit more responsive but the clutch didn't. I went back to check the fluid and noticed the levels had significantly reduced again, I topped up again and after a while and further pumping on the brakes the clutch and brakes went back to normality :)

In order not to risk other road users, I felt it was better get a lift into work and come back in 24 hours to see if this was a leak, or my brake fluid levels were genuinely low.

I will update you all tomorrow :)

Thanks to everyone for your feedback thus far :)

Hi all,
Update as promised, despite being late ;-)

All seemed fine and no leaks noticed and seemed fine for a week. Today, felt a little light on the clutch and my brake warning lights kept flashing on.

Got to work, topped it up again but could see an obvious pool of fluid under the battery.

Popped it into the garage this afternoon and confirmed Clutch Slave Cylinder. Bing bang bosh, car will be back soon :)

Back