Technical Fuel sender.

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel sender.

Bill Dutton

Has anyone with ducato Motorhome altered the fuel sender so as to carry more fuel in the tank.
If so was it an easy job and how does it effect the fuel gauge?

Hi Bill

What model/year/engine is the base vehicle ?

I read somewhere (unfortunately I can't find the reference now) that SOME Ducatos had the tank venting arranged so that their tank could not be filled completely before the filling station pump cut-off. Presumably this was a weight saving measure for vehicles with good fuel consumption. This vent setting could be modified if necessary to allow the tank to be filled completely, e.g. to 90 litres instead of 60 litres. The fuel gauge had to be altered (reprogrammed ?) as part of the modification. Apologies if it turns out I have mis-remembered this.

As far as I know, altering the fuel sender will have no effect on how much fuel you can pump in before cut-off, that is a non-electrical function.

I remember reading something similar to what Anthony489 has described above.

The article that I remember was in the mechanical section of the Italian forum camperonline.it. I cannot be certain, but I think it was a weight saving, or payload increasing option used by some converters.

As Anthony states, the tank venting was altered to reduce the amount of fuel that could be delivered into the tank. A method of altering the venting, so as to effectively increase fuel capacity, was described.

The Italian article was probably posted in the last 3 years, and related to the x290 model.

I am sorry that I cannot be more precise.

I also recall seeing a similar article, but didn't pay too much notice to it. I believe the 60 litre tank capacity is an option on X290 vans, to allow MH converters to retain a similar payload allowance as was previously available before the addition of an adblue tank.

I think the conversion to the 90 litre capacity involved modification to a plastic tube that encloses the tank float, possible accessed via the lift pump under the cab floor.

AlfaOBD diagnostic software also has a function for reprogramming the gauge to either 60 or 90 litres capacity.

Back