Technical 2007ducato electric fuel pump

Currently reading:
Technical 2007ducato electric fuel pump

Woodsy123

Hi I’m a newbie and I hope someone can help with my problem lift pump stopped working but works if wired direct to the battery any suggestions much appreciated

Hi I’m a newbie and I hope someone can help with my problem lift pump stopped working but works if wired direct to the battery any suggestions much appreciated
Hi Woodsy123,

Welcome to the forum.

The fuel lift pump is subject to the control of the (crash) inertia switch. On my earlier x244 model this switch is located on the bulkhead close to the battery, but on your x250 model I believe that it is in the passenger footwell area (Check Drivers Manual.)
They are similar, so to help you locate it, I am attaching a photo of mine. When switch is located press the top to reset.
If that does not work, deeper investigation will be necessary.

To help others, please post the outcome on this thread.

Attachments

• Inertia Switch.jpg
    Inertia Switch.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
Hi

To add to the above, here are the schematic extracts for the X250. The inertia switch is in the coil circuit of the fuel pump relay, so if it is triggered it goes open circuit and prevents the ECU from energising the relay.

Attachments

• X250 Fuel Pump.jpg
    X250 Fuel Pump.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 25
  • X250 Inertia Switch.jpg
    X250 Inertia Switch.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
  • X250 Tank Fuel Pump and Sender.jpg
    X250 Tank Fuel Pump and Sender.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 23
Hi I tried the inertia switch no joy so I will try a new fuel pump relay tomorrow
Sorry to be a Jonah, but relays are rarely the problem. Why not try shorting the larger (30 & 87) sockets with relay removed? As you managed to connect a temporary supply to the pump, this should not be beyond your resources.

Warning, if you switch the ignition on, with the relay removed, ECU may raise an alarm.

Relay failures are rare, and that there is still the possibility that you have disturbed some corrosion when replacing the relay. The engine bay fusebox is a known source of problems with possible water ingress on the x250. Can you test the relay on a 12V supply?

If buying a non OEM replacement which will be much cheaper, be sure to purchase one with a spike reducing resistor in parallel with the winding. Fiat do not adhere to the Bosch convention, with terminal 86 being positive, so a parallel diode could be the wrong way round. With neither resistor or diode you could spike the ECU. That could result in great sadness.

Back