Technical Ducato fuel filter housing.

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato fuel filter housing.

Hi all want to change fuel filter no issues but do not know when last changed.Now i've looked online at changeing just the filter,or buying complete unit.I know about leaks with not doing top up correctly,has anyone bought a complete unit off ebay the ones around £45 as the ufi ones are close to £100 ad filters around £15..any advise would be great

Think it’s the same filter or very similar on my 1.9 multijet that I did recently. Biggest problem I had was trying to figure out how the unit comes out but after messing about for a while realised it just lifts up with a bit of force. Just a couple of pipes with push in collars and an electrical connection on bottom if I remember. Then I clamped it LIGHTLY in a vice after wrapping it in rag and used a big pair of grips to get the big ring off

I could buy the lazer tool and filter for about the same price as getting the whole unit thats why i was sort of asking and if they were reliable..cheers you obviously did'nt have any leaks which is good.

No, i was a bit dubious as like you had read about leaks but wasn’t as bad as i thought. And i didn’t use any special tools, think filter was about £15 like you said. Don’t worry if the new filter looks slightly different as there’s a couple of different sorts but apparently all fit in the housing fine. I put some grease on the threads of the big plastic nut when I reassembled it as it made it easier to get the nut tight. Just make sure you take the housing off the car rather that trying to do it in situ as there has been some horror stories of stuff getting snapped off by trying to do it the quick way….especially as yours hasn’t been off for a while! Good luck

Hi all want to change fuel filter no issues but do not know when last changed.Now i've looked online at changeing just the filter,or buying complete unit.I know about leaks with not doing top up correctly,has anyone bought a complete unit off ebay the ones around £45 as the ufi ones are close to £100 ad filters around £15..any advise would be great
The design of the fuel filter used has changed several times over the years, with the first significant change being the introduction of the so called "green" filter on late x244 and x250 models. This filter has subsequently been replaced by a filter with a cast metal housing.
It would help if you included vehicle model, or type of filter to which you refer.

As regards the "green" filter, there is an excellent guide in the "Downloads" section, which is available at the top of the page.

The "green" filter developed a reputation for developing leaks after having the element changed. The links have been ascribed to not using the correct holding tool when servicing. Holding the filter in a vice is not recommended.

No, i was a bit dubious as like you had read about leaks but wasn’t as bad as i thought. And i didn’t use any special tools, think filter was about £15 like you said. Don’t worry if the new filter looks slightly different as there’s a couple of different sorts but apparently all fit in the housing fine. I put some grease on the threads of the big plastic nut when I reassembled it as it made it easier to get the nut tight. Just make sure you take the housing off the car rather that trying to do it in situ as there has been some horror stories of stuff getting snapped off by trying to do it the quick way….especially as yours hasn’t been off for a while! Good luck
Hi yes i've ordered tool £16.90 and a bosch filter got a mirror and torch out it is ufi and dated 2018 ! so rather have a new filter in that.i think 6 years is enough..im off to italy july so van needs to be in tip top condition.

Just had my 3rd failure of these plastic atrocities.
Is it possible there is too much pressure in the system?
After 24 hrs at the roadside - I removed and bypassed with a rubber fuel pipe and found it starts and works fine, despite the wiring being unplugged.
I will be fitting an inline filter asap.
Will th 20240422_182425.jpge engine suffer without the water detection/ diesel heating?

Oh that's bad ..my mates mate in france a few weeks ago exploded! emptied the tank..off the road for 2 weeks..there was a reply somewhere of the amount of pressure ..seems quite high, mine had no water in it owned for 2 years and prior to that was'nt changed not sure what top plug does? Was your's a ufi one? or a copy?

Just had my 3rd failure of these plastic atrocities.
Is it possible there is too much pressure in the system?
After 24 hrs at the roadside - I removed and bypassed with a rubber fuel pipe and found it starts and works fine, despite the wiring being unplugged.
I will be fitting an inline filter asap.
Will thView attachment 443779e engine suffer without the water detection/ diesel heating?
What was the actual failure? I suspect that the cover retaining ring fractured, but I am unable to confirm this from the photo
It would be interesting to know whether or not the filter element had been replaced.
If yes, the was the correct tool used, and was the correct fixing torque applied on reassembly?

It would not be a good idea to let water into hp pump, and injectors. The pump relies on the fuel for ludrication. Not sure what would happen with modern injectors. As the fuel is only heated to a maximum of 15C, I suspect that it is a precaution against fuel waxing at low ambient temperatures.

Back