Technical Fuel Leak

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Leak

Paul106xsi

I had my Sei MOT'd a few weeks back and it failed on the following -

Tank area Fuel system component leaking (7.2.3)
Fuel cap/sealing device sealing washer deteriorated (7.2.4c)

I still had a few weeks on the original MOT so carried on using it until I had a chance to look into it (today). I was expecting the leak to be obvious but no such luck and the garage now can't remember the exact details of where it leaked from, my fault for not asking at the time.
banghead.gif

I'm hoping it's just the fuel cap not sealing and fuel coming out of the filler pipe while cornering. If not, does the Sei have a 'problem' part that has a tendency to fail? Thanks

They can leak from the seam around the tank of its rusty, the fuel filler necks also get brittle, crack and leak.

Have you managed to get a new sealing ring?

Nath

Have you managed to get a new sealing ring?

Can you just get a new ring then? I was planning to buy a replacement fuel cap. The paint has started to flake away on the filler neck side of the car. There's a bit of rust under there but nothing too significant.

Can you just get a new ring then? I was planning to buy a replacement fuel cap. The paint has started to flake away on the filler neck side of the car. There's a bit of rust under there but nothing too significant.

I haven't looked yet but I will to ask mine is cracking also.

My cinq had a leaky tank on the seam and cracks in the filler neck. I'm guessing you filler neck could be at fault.

Maybe change the cap and take her for a retest and see what they say, it could only be that after all.

The fuel neck will leak after tank is half full, mine was very bad near the end!

A duff fuel cap seal will fail the mot. I've previously replaced dead seals with off the shelf (not fuel rated) o rings and they've held up fine for the foreseeable.

Back