Technical Intermittent fuel pump fault

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent fuel pump fault

onlycat

My Cinquecento has an intermittent fuel pump wiring fault. The pump works, If I test the connector that goes into the pump with a multimeter, sometimes there is current, sometimes not. I shaved back a bit of the insulation sleeve around the wire just before the connector and the fault is still there so the connector is ok. The relay clicks on and off regardless of whether there is current at the connector or not. I have checked and cleaned the 2 earth points behind the headlamps and the one where the battery earths and they are shiny. Any suggestions on where to look next gratefully received. Thanks.

Could be bad relay contacts. They do wear out. May be worth replacing the relay for a start.
If you don't want to go replacing stuff until you know what the issue is, then you could try and measure straight off the relay to see if you have power there?

My Cinquecento has an intermittent fuel pump wiring fault. The pump works, If I test the connector that goes into the pump with a multimeter, sometimes there is current, sometimes not. I shaved back a bit of the insulation sleeve around the wire just before the connector and the fault is still there so the connector is ok. The relay clicks on and off regardless of whether there is current at the connector or not. I have checked and cleaned the 2 earth points behind the headlamps and the one where the battery earths and they are shiny. Any suggestions on where to look next gratefully received. Thanks.
I had a similar problem and at first did exactly what you have tried. The problem was the connectors under a cover right next to the fuse box (left hand drive car). The positive wire that powers the pump, passes through one connector. I bypassed the contacts in that connector and twisted the green wire going to the pump to the green wire that probably comes from the relay.In my case that solved the problem.

Back