General fuel injection light comes on

Currently reading:
General fuel injection light comes on

Yesterday I did an oil and filter change and now this morning the fuel injection light comes on. The light goes off when idling but comes on when I push on the accelerator and the engine seems strained. the carburator makes a ticking noise but I've noticed that a while ago. Any ideas of what it could be and what I should check? My skill level is pretty much novice ,any help appreciated.

Fiat Panda 1996 900 clx
1170A1.046
141GT53A

This issue would not have been caused by the oil change directly. The system is not integrated enough to be able to use sensors that might detect changes in oil or filtering. You could remove all oil and a working injection system will operate normally until the engine seized.

If there was no hint of a problem before the oil change then it seems likely that you disturbed a pipe or wire by accident or on purpose in order to do the work. The carburettor is called a throttle body in an injection system as it only acts as an air flap, rather than providing fuel metering. The ticking noise is the single large injector sat on top of the throttle body. That is normal.

So there are all the things the problem isn't. Hard part is to guess which bit is the problem. If things are fine when idling, then you might suspect the throttle potentiometer which gives a reading of how far the throttle flap is opened. Perhaps it is giving a bad reading part way up? The main method used by the ECU to determine fuel metering is the Manifold Air Pressure sensor on the bulkhead. Normally the car doesn't start if this is broken, but the pipe going from sensor to inlet manifold might be slightly blocked. This will cause very poor performance, but can allow an idle.

you could buy a couple of cables of ebay and download some software and read the fault yourself

this thread has the info on what to do...

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/32328-6f-16f-cinque-sei-ecu-reader-project.html

and yes it does work on the panda, used it on mine

btw you may have knocked the lambda sensor cable which is goes to the bottom of the exhaust manifold downpipe and that is one of causes the engine light, but i agree with lewey sounds like a MAP issue, so that could be too much oil has flooded up into the vacuum intake somehow?

Many thanks for the quick response. I've just had a look at the pipe that goes from the map sensor to the manifold and its clear with no obstructions. I also checked the cable and lamda sensor and all seems okay. Not sure what else to check so might have to hobble off 6 km's to the nearest garage

Regards
anthony

Just to add to my original post. I also disconnected the lamda sensor but the error light remains the same. When the car idles its alternates between a normal idle and higher revs.

Regards
Anthony

do you mean it's hunting? if so it means the mix isn't correct so it runs rich and revs, then that is detected and so shuts down the mix, etc etc

means that either a sensor isn't reading correctly or could be an air leak inbound

but yes either get the diagnostic kit...

or pay the money to a garage to read the fault, then you'll have an idea of what needs doing

on the air leak you can try and spray carb cleaner around the throttle body and intake manifold and see if hunting changes...but a hit and miss test...

The car seems to drive ok , perhaps a little ruff feel to it. Cant seem to find any leaks/holes or connection problems. I have noticed the exhaust fumes are quite strong , perhaps a strong fuel mix , no idea. I also noticed the engine fan does'nt come on and no water seems to run through the pipes (engine off or running).

The car seems to drive ok , perhaps a little ruff feel to it. Cant seem to find any leaks/holes or connection problems. I have noticed the exhaust fumes are quite strong , perhaps a strong fuel mix , no idea. I also noticed the engine fan does'nt come on and no water seems to run through the pipes (engine off or running).

Wow...don't drive it till you have checked the water pump..:eek:

okay , the plot thickens...

I notice the water pipes are "soft" even when the engine is running. On my previous vehicles the pipes are soft when the engine is not running and when running "hard" due to pressure from the water pump. Is this supposed to be the same for the panda? If the water pump is faulty should'nt the radiator fan come on? granted I hav'nt run the engine for more than 15 mins. With all these things could it be the cause of the initial problem of the injection warning light comming on? all seems strange to me.

I notice the water pipes are "soft" even when the engine is running. On my previous vehicles the pipes are soft when the engine is not running and when running "hard" due to pressure from the water pump. Is this supposed to be the same for the panda? If the water pump is faulty should'nt the radiator fan come on? granted I hav'nt run the engine for more than 15 mins. With all these things could it be the cause of the initial problem of the injection warning light comming on? all seems strange to me.

Fan won't go on till you reach over 90 degrees.....bottom hose hot...top hose hot once the thermostate opens.

I notice the water pipes are "soft" even when the engine is running. On my previous vehicles the pipes are soft when the engine is not running and when running "hard" due to pressure from the water pump.

nope the hardness is due to the increase in pressure as the water heats up

if you run up to temp with the water filler cap off are you seeing bubbles?

head gasket failure...

note with these engines you must keep the antifreeze upto spec otherwise the aluminium head will corrode...

if you put the heater lever to red does it heat up?

btw simple job to do the water pump apart from setting the timing belt afterwards...

non of that though explains the engine light...

okee dokee the water pump was a red herring , seems ok. Took out the spark plugs and they're completely black. So the car is going in this week and will report back the result and the cost of repair

So basically the car is running very rich all the time. I would replace the water temp sensor, followed by the lambda if not found to be the cause. The richness will cause a hunting idle and poor progression. Water temp sensor is in the inlet manifold or the thermostat. Not sure on your model.

. I would replace the water temp sensor,

yeah especially as it's about a fiver and a 5 minute job to do...

i'd still recommend to anyone with an ECU to get the cables from ebay and the software and a laptop then you'll be able to see what is really going on...and it's fun?

yeah especially as it's about a fiver and a 5 minute job to do...

i'd still recommend to anyone with an ECU to get the cables from ebay and the software and a laptop then you'll be able to see what is really going on...and it's fun?

What cable is it and what software...would love to look at the ECU on my onyx....

see if i could get a bit more from it after seeing whats wrong if owt...

kevin

Back