Fuel fill problems

Currently reading:
Fuel fill problems

Is this with just one nozzle, at one time, or frequently with different nozzles?

The fuel nozzle has two holes. If you look at the end, keep hands away from the trigger, you will see the main outlet, and a smaller hole. As fuel is passing through, it creates a vacuum in the small hole, so when fuel fills to that point, it sucks it in, which activates the cut-off. These things wear out, and often any small spash will activate teh cut-off, and sometimes they just keep cutting off without any fuel up the hole.

If one nozzle does it, tell the staff (occasionally you might get one that understands, and cares), and try to remember it and use another one next time.
Pivoting the nozzle can often help avoid the splash issue.

After fuelling, a small amount of dribble will emerge, which is why we should wait a couple of seconds before removing it from the filler. The cut-off is at the trigger handle, so when people lift the hose to drain it, they are achieving nothing.

When I worked in a small garage in the early seventies, the nozzles would last 6-9 months, then need changing. I'd expect the now much busier filling stations to be changing these sooner. They got refurbished. Always kept a spare, and could change it in a few minutes, but the staff at filling stations nowadays don't have the authority to do this, having to wait for the frequent service engineer. We used ot change the hose occasionally too, always a good idea to glance at it to check it is not split, especially at the tightest bends.

But in the '70s you also would have run out, filled the car, cleaned the winscreen, and checked the oil too
That's exactly what I did, whatever the weather. Initially, Saturday and Sunday, 2-8pm. Sometimes all day Sat. School holidays, in the workshop. Sometimes working 7 days, at 14 yrs old. Happy days.

Remember a Swiss guy, Mercedes 200 series. Filled up, total cost just under £9. (35p/gal!) He peeled off 10x £10 notes and was surprised when I only wanted one of them. I think he'd got the decimal point wrong, and with a previous fill-up, someone had accepted it. Gave me a tenner for the fuel and another for my honesty.

Back