Fuel consumption

Currently reading:
Fuel consumption

Hi, I have a 2006 Fiat Ducato RV and my fuel consumption is 20 litres per 100 klm. Is there anything I can do to improve the fuel consumption it has been recently serviced and I drive very easily no hard braking or turning easy on the pedal. Any ideas?

Hi, I have a 2006 Fiat Ducato RV and my fuel consumption is 20 litres per 100 klm. Is there anything I can do to improve the fuel consumption it has been recently serviced and I drive very easily no hard braking or turning easy on the pedal. Any ideas?
My very rough calculation puts that at just over 14 Mpg, I ran several Iveco Dailys 3.5 tonne, the 2,8 Sofim did about 24 Mpg average including towing 3.5 tonne car trailer and the 2.3 Sofim did 28 Mpg, these were the engines used in many Ducatos though transverse and without the heavy Iveco chassis. On the negative side RVs/Campers are always running fully laden, but assuming engine running sweet and no black smoke, after a 10 mile run, hop out and check all for wheels for temperature (carefully don't burn yourself) if any are noticeably hotter than the rest, a brake sticking on may be the cause of your Mpg figure.
(Taking the pizz now,)Assuming you have found top gear;) Years ago we had a customer drive 500 miles in third gear as her previous car was three speed, not knowing this Vauxhall had four, genuinely !!!
We also had a customer with a Mazda 1000cc who could only get around 16mpg, the car was almost brand new and every time we checked, it was averaging 35mpg +. The customer didn't believe us so we had the area Mazda Tech check it who got over 42mpg. We then had a thought and asked him about his typical journey. He was a car park attendant who drove on choke 1 mile to work, went home for lunch also on choke back to work then home again on choke in the evening. We suggested that he fill the car with fuel,do a 50 mile journey and refill and do the calculation again. problem solved. !!!
Still in the days of chokes, I went on a Motorcraft Ford course when they were talking of the importance of thermostats and engines running at their correct temperature, they went on to say 9mpg was normal when on choke! Hence all the jokes about old ladies pulling the choke out to start their cars , then hanging their handbags on them.;)

Hi :)

As you will be aware there are a mass of variable options to effect fuel consumption

Favourites include:

Air temperature
Terrain
Rolling resistance

My ancient 2.5 was capable of poor economy locally.. but a 2 week road trip made me pleasantly surprised

Do tell us more :)

Back