Technical Fuel cut off unavailable (and no cruise control)

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel cut off unavailable (and no cruise control)

Aresby

Sporting 1.6 Newbie
This morning I had this "Fuel cut off unavailable" message on my GP sporting 1.6 diesel (just over two years old now, had it from new).

I had been waiting for the next thing to go wrong and I was not disappointed (more things have gone wrong with this car than I care to mention).:mad:

The error message cleared when I removed the key and restarted but the cruise control had been disabled (which I only found out about as I was driving to work). Restarting in the car park at work a couple of times got things back in sync, cruise control now working again and no more message about fuel cut off.

However, the last time I dismissed a warning message as a "one off", my power steering failed and my car was off the road for several days awaiting parts from Italy (hint: never buy a foreign car that doesn't have a parts warehouse in the UK).

So, is this fuel cut off message something I should be talking to my dealer about NOW or do I wait until it comes on again and I can't get to work? Or the airport for my holiday, soon?

(A search of this forum elicited no positive news and I was unceremoniously rejected from the 500 forum where something similar was previously reported).

No repeat this morning, at which point I realised I had done something different yesterday.

Sequence of events:

1. Unlock car
2. Key in ignition
3. Turn ignition and wait for glowplug symbol to extinguish
4. DURING THIS DELAY I TURNED ON MY SIDELIGHTS
5. Message appeared either just as, or slightly before, I cranked the engine

So, could turning on the sidelights during the computer communication with sensors period have caused a data corruption and hence the message?

My knowledgeable friend (electronics whiz) says it is entirely technically possible but obviously couldn't say how likely it was.

Anyone any comments?

for example to back Chris up, you can get an excessive Rad Temp message if there are battery issues, this is because the power response from the sensor drops below a certain voltage.

Have you got any additional kit hooked up to the battery?

No, I've nothing else hooked up to the battery. This car is in the same condition as it came from the showroom.

Whilst I use dipped headlights and front fogs going to work during the winter, it is a 42 mile round trip so plenty time to recharge fully, I feel. And coming home I don't need my lights every day (like today, nice and sunny).

But thanks for your suggestions, all ideas are useful.

Today I repeated the same sequence of ignition events outlined in my previous post but no matter what I did it all was fine, no matter how many times I turned the lights on or off (or didn't) during the "boot up" sequence.

Sigh.

So, until it happens again (at which point I really will have no choice other than to report to my local dealer - who now charges for diagnostic work at it's in the third year "warranty" period :() I'll bide my time.

I suppose knowing the diagnostic codes (if it actually recorded any) would help but only my dealer has that sort of equipment. Last time I had a problem it hadn't recorded much other than "an error happened" which was of no use to them whatsoever.

Why do you drive around with your front for lights on? Its illegal and dazzles other drivers because they don't aim down like headlights.

Most likely bad Earth's then. They rear their ugly heads when the weathers at it's coldest.

this, they can also corrode, i snapped the gearbox to battery earth from corrosion, dials didnt work, can ran crap, earth looked fine until it was unbolted.

Had this happen on my Abarth gp about 6 months ago would pop up now and then with fuel cut off unavailable message it never bothered me then after a month or so later got just about every other thing unavailable.
I disconnected the battery for 20 mins and then connected it and never had anything flash up unavailable since.
Not saying it will work for you but it's worth a try if you have not tried so already.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys, they're really useful.

I've not had a repeat but I live in dread that the message (or others) will return. If and when this happens I shall look at the earth first.

I had a quick look at the battery connections this morning and they seem clean, lubricated and tight (until I inadvertently unclipped the negative, I didn't realise it had a quick-release style connection!).

Anyway, fingers crossed and thanks again.

Back